8.19.2013

WE'RE UP ALL NIGHT TO GET LUCKY

Thank goodness school has started!!  Now I can relax and stop trying to cram learning down my children's throats all the time.  (60-40!)  I usually begin each summer with very lofty educational goals, after all, this is their time to get ahead. (I know I sound like a crazy person.)  This last June, a few of the goals I set, among many others, was to teach the kids French, memorize all world capitols, and turn them into master chefs. (Keep in mind they are ages 7, 5, and 2.)  No, none of those things did happen.

However, I am happy to report that these two goals did -

1.  Charlie learned how to read.
2.  Luke did the Journal Jar.

What is the Journal Jar, you ask?  An attempt to make writing fun.  Luke hates to write, so naturally, this summer I made it one of his ways to earn screen time.  (Screen time for Luke is like gold in his world.) It turned out to be a great success and Luke loved pulling writing prompts out of the jar to see what he would be writing about each morning.

For example, here is one of Luke's final journal entries before school started. The question Luke drew was -

"What would you do if you could stay up all night?"

Luke's answer was - 


"If I stayed up all night I will get lucky, why?  I get to sleep in.  Then, I will also get to watch t.v."

Perhaps we shouldn't listen to so much Daft Punk on the radio so much in our house. Ya think?


HOW TO MAKE A JOURNAL JAR (Grades K-3)

You will need:

A Large Empty Jar
A Printer
Paper
Scissors

Directions:

1.  Click here to print out my Printable Journal Jar Writing Prompts.
2.  Cut along the lines, so that each writing prompt is on it's own slip of paper.
3.  Fold the slips of paper in half and place them in the jar.

To Use the Journal Jar:

The child draws a writing prompt out of the jar and writes at least 3 or 4 sentences about the question or subject.  My printable contains enough for 30 days.  After that you can either reuse them or make your own.

2 comments:

  1. And I thought that song was only referring to S-E-X. (dirty, dirty mind of mine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I had the same thought as Kaci when I saw the title of this page. Man, I need to get my mind out of the gutter!
    I'm so impressed that your kids can read and write. We're still working on the alphabet over here...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails