8.27.2013

REALITY BITES: WHY I DON'T HAVE A FASHION BLOG

All thrifted: J Crew Top: $2 | Tulle Skirt: $5 | Wedges: $7 | Belt: hand me down from my sister

Ten years ago, I had bleach blonde hair, about 15 purses (I was obsessed with purses), a pile of fashion magazines on my bedroom floor, a closet full of trendy clothes, and a routine at night which consisted of a bubble bath, a face mask, and painting my nails. Aw, that sounds so nice.

I was one of those girls who wore heels to high school and carried a purse while I lugged around my books in my arms instead of wearing a backpack, because backpacks were just so ugly and would totally mess up my outfit. Wow, I was totally living the teenage dream! Thank you awesome parents of mine. 

Now here comes the dose of reality. 

Instead of fashion magazines spread across my floor, I see story books and wild life magazines that Jonah is obsessed with. I have one diaper bag, one purse, and one "pool" bag that all have smashed crackers inside that will not come out no matter how many times I put them through a wash cycle. I probably have about eight pairs of shoes, but only three good pairs that I actually like wearing. You know how that is. Showers are hard to come by. I never go shopping because last time I tried taking my kids into TJ Maxx the experience was so bad I promised myself I would never ever do it again. The only time I really dress up and do my hair and makeup is for church on Sunday. And it's always a really great day when no one follows me to the bathroom. What has become of me?!  

Don't get me wrong, I love my life! Being a mom is the best gift ever. I'd gladly trade all of my nice stain free clothes and hours of personal time for the job I have now.  
    
      
Telling Zach to hold off on pictures while I fix Jonah's tie.

The reality of this changed life of mine has never hit harder than it did on Sunday. I had an idea of taking pictures of me and the kids after church to show you our outfits that were all thrift store finds. As you know from my previous post I love thrift shopping. So on our way to church I explained to Zach how we could quickly pull over on our way home and he could snap a few pictures of me and the kids in our outfits. He enthusiastically agreed! Gosh I love that man.

But as we climbed into the car after church and I reminded him what we needed to do before we went home and I could tell he really wasn't in the mood to stop anymore. I don't blame him though because honestly I wasn't either. After all, after sitting in church for three hours the only thing I want to do is get home as fast as I can and shove food in my mouth! Does anyone else feel that way, or are we just not eating big enough breakfasts?

On our way to the "field" I tried to pump Zach into doing it by telling him all about these other girls who write fashion blogs and their husbands take all their pictures. "It's sooo easy!! Just take some pictures of me doing different cheesy poses and keep the kids away, then just take a few of me with the kids. No big deal, just five minutes and we're done. I'll make you a huge delicious dinner!"

Well I forgot there were some key factors that had already set us up for failure:

1. My clothes were now wrinkled from sitting in church. (Should have listened to that voice inside me saying "take the pictures before church!" Darn.)
2. My hair was frizzy and started to curl from the humidity and rain. 
3. Micah still had stickers all over his shirt from church.
4. All three kids had messy faces from the graham crackers I had just given them.
5. My sweet and talented husband has a very difficult time using my camera. I still love you babe. :)

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!! I just laugh at these! See these pictures of me? That's what Zach got. Really, this is all he got! To his credit though, that top picture of me isn't too bad and the kids were really crazy. Turns out they all really had to use the restroom. :/

       
Carrying Micah away from the mud.

After a few minutes of him snapping these awkward pictures, I finally took the camera from him and just took pictures of the kids, which is something I enjoy doing, NOT modeling clothes!

I love fashion blogs, I really do! Props to the moms who can model clothes in front of their husbands; to the patient husbands who have talent in camera magic; to the moms who have kids that wear designer clothes and never ever get peanut butter and tomato sauce on them; and to the moms who take the time to have perfect hair and makeup and can take posed shots with their kids looking happy, clean, and clothing always wrinkle free. Maybe one day I'll figure out their secret and look just as fabulous. 

His tie came off again!

I love that he plays with that big old fisher price airplane. It used to be mine!  


I forgot about those stickers all over his shirt. Oops!



Until then, here's my cheap thrift store wardrobe, my brows that need to be waxed, my half painted nails, my messy kids, oh and lots of wrinkled clothes. 

We might look like a mess but we're a very happy mess!

Except for Emma. She doesn't look too happy here. 

22 comments:

  1. i have been meaning to tell you that i LOVE this blog! you girls do such a great job! but, cailin, this post is especially awesome. i love how you write! all the pictures are perfect. really. i love seeing real life in pictures. and i appreciate how real you are about day to day things! oh, and you are too beautiful, just so you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw geez Thank you Emily! You are too sweet. Hope it resignated with someone and I didn't ramble too much lol. (I tend to do that.) It's fun doing something with my sisters so it means a lot to hear you enjoy it.

      -Caitlin

      Delete
  2. Cailtin - Beautiful photos...love love love...couldn't have asked for anything more perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well Megan that means a lot coming from you, talented lady beyond words! Thank you! ;) FYI I still read your photo blog. So, don't stop posting.

      -Caitlin

      Delete
  3. Again, great post Cailtin! I think the pictures are super fun and you will love them more for their imperfections in years to come. :) -Devin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why can't I type when I comment on this blog?!! Sorry Cail-tin. ;)

      Delete
    2. Took me forever to get the Cail-tin joke. haha

      Delete
  4. I would feel really bad for you with having a bad photo shoot, but you still look gorgeous in every picture, and the kids look adorable. So, I dont feel bad for you. Sorry. Try again. This really just looks like "behind the scenes" snapshots of a magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahaha oh you kill me, thanks.. Yes, a photo shoot that (no joke) ended with thirty flies and three bees in our car. Zach made me promise to never make him take pictures in a field again. I'd still go back though, cause you gotta go to the extreme for a good shot.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, Caitlin you are g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s darling... and these pics look amazing. Love the coloring. (or whatever the technical term is?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such a cute post! I am not a mom or married, but I have a hard enough time doing fashion posts as a single lady I have no idea what will happen when I have children! You all look amazing, loving your skirt!

    xxS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stesha,
      Thanks!..and you're so right, It's a lot of work even without kids! By the way, your blog is so cute and I love your style!

      -Caitlin

      Delete
  7. Well that first pic was a definite winner at least! Truly they're all cute and I hear you 100% on everything (especially, oddly enough, the being famished on the way home from church! Half the time we're so hungry we order take out to pick up on the way home!)
    And fabulous thrifted finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA Yes!! Take out is the greatest.

      -Caitlin

      Delete
  8. you know what your kids are so handsome no matter what :-) and you mama, look absolutely AMAZING!!!!! love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I guess they are pretty cute hu, messy and all. :)

      -Caitlin

      Delete
  9. These pictures are so beautiful and wonderful in so many ways. I would trade some of my clothes for fantastic photos. Great post :)

    Kate @ A Journey in Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet post! Fashion blog or not, you look gorgeous in your thrift store finds! I'm a mom of 2, and I take pride in my vomit-stained clothes! Haha (maybe not all the time)! ;)

    Semper Wifey
    www.semeprwifey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cutest post and cutest family.

    Thank you for linking up with Style Sessions!

    Lauren xx
    www.stylelixir.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks perfect to me :) wish I was as good at thrifting as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What makes me feel old is when you talk about you being in high school, because I remember when you were! Ahhh... I'm old!! And now you have a cute family and little ones. You look gorgeous all the times, even if you aren't trying!!

    Tara xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails