11.01.2010

I BELIEVE I CAN FLY


So, I've pretty much decided that Erik getting his pilot's license is awesome. This weekend we took a very quick and impromptu trip out to Arizona. The longest I had ever flown with him before this was about 15 minutes. Yes, it was a little scary exciting at times, but who cares?! I'd choose a 2 hour 15 minute plane flight to my parent's house in Arizona over a 6 1/2 hour car trip any day. I now understand why Erik wants to buy a plane so badly. I could get really used to flying in little planes.


Traveling with children in a small plane made the flight even more exciting. Imagine a car trip where you can't stop to use the bathroom or let your children out to run around! Yeah, fun! At one point, Luke fell asleep and started snoring into the headset. When I turned around to take it off of him, I noticed that he had drooled all over the microphone. Disgusting.


The impetus for this quick trip was to see my new nephew, Joshua. He was born full-term on 10/10/10. After a short stay in the NICU for what the doctors believed was aspirated meconium, he was sent home. 5 or 6 days passed and my sister, Kaci, noticed that he had a fever and took him to the hospital. The doctors performed several tests and finally determined that he had somehow aspirated candida (yeast), and as a result, his breathing was being severely impaired. In the week and a half that has followed he has progressively grown worse.


This is a picture that my sister sent me on the day he was checked back into the hospital. I have some photos from this weekend, but I couldn't bring myself to post them. He is now hooked up to a ventilator, sedated, and fed through a tube in his nose. It's heartbreaking, but my sister and her husband have such a positive attitude, although I know the last thing Kaci and my brother-in-law, Salesi, expected was to be spending the first months of their son's life in a hospital room. You just never know what life is going to throw at you. I wish that I could flash forward a couple of months to see him healthy and out of the hospital.


Speaking of positive attitude, Kaci insisted that we take pictures in front of the PICU sign on their hospital floor. I found it a little strange to be smiling during something so traumatic, but then I remembered that Kaci was the same one who was upset when we were told we couldn't take pictures at the Holocaust Museum a few summers ago.

8 comments:

  1. This post made me cry...probably because I'm a million years pregnant and emotional...but what a BEAUTIFUL little boy. I'm glad you were able to go see him, and I hope he gets better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I'm so sad for Kaci and Salesi. I'm glad that they're handling so well with a positive attitude though. I hope that he'll be able to get better soon so they can start enjoying that sweet little boy. He is a-dorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what it feels like to have your newborn admitted to the hospital. We'll keep their tiny baby in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a handsome little guy! Extra prayers for Kaci and Salesi. And props to you for flying...I think that my nerves would have been shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to end with a smile :) Praying for Kaci and Salesi - I can't believe they have a baby! when did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. First...what an awesome thing to fly the way you did! I saw on an earlier post you had flown over, but I didn't realize your husband was the pilot!!! That is so great!!! Be grateful. My husband won't fly AT ALL. Just a major phobia of his, one he wishes he didn't have, but it literally paralizes him. So...it's driving for us. Second, Debi had written me last week and told me about your sister. I'm so sorry this is such a hard time for them, and hope and pray for this little guy. What a great sister you are, to come and support her like that. Thanks for posting the sweet pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cristin,
    I will keep them in my prayers.

    MUCH love,
    LeMira

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. Those pictures are SOOO important.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails