11.08.2010

GROWING UP IS HARD TO DO


Yesterday, Charlie weaned himself from the pacifier that has been helping put him to sleep for the past year and a half. Ugh.

I know it sounds crazy. I should be happy, but I am angry. I knew it was over the minute I tried to put him down for a nap and he threw the pacifier across the room. I kept picking it up to return it to him and he kept throwing it back across the room. This went on for about 10 minutes until I finally gave up. Charlie wins. No more pacifier.

Most people won't admit that their 2 and a half year old uses a pacifier to go to sleep, but I don't care. I loved that thing. Charlie would crawl into bed during the day just to suck on it. He was an ease to put to sleep. His naps last week were an average of 3 hours long! However, now that Charlie has decided he no longer needs a pacifier, he won't take naps or go to sleep very easily. The day seems twice as long when Charlie doesn't nap.

I'm tired. Next child better wean me slowly from the pacifier. This quick method is really hard.

6 comments:

  1. Well if it makes you feel better, Cordelia was nursing to sleep until she was a few months shy of 3. It was a biiiig transition but she transitioned faster than I had thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I totally agree! I am more addicted to my kids using a pacifier than they are!! And I always know that I'm doomed as soon as they stop using it (aka - no more good, long naps). :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will admit, my little guy still uses one. I am dreading taking it away...but know I want him to not need it anymore when this next baby is born. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We totally encouraged Rebecca when we saw her using her thumb as a baby. It was our only saving grace with that kid! Fast forward 7 yrs. until we finally got her weaned from it but I never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I don't know if I have ever heard the stories of the child throwing the binky out. It usually is the parent trying to trick the child out of using the binky anymore. That is really, really too bad about the possible end to naps. When I was pregnant, I HAD to have the kids nap because I needed one so desperately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I just wanted you to know that I gave you a blog award today on my blog. . . yep, random awards for blogs (haha)! I've been thinking of your family a lot lately and hoping you are finding peace. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails