10.28.2010

SIMPLIFY


Am I the only one who laughs each time I see a "Simplify" sign in someone's home? They are becoming quite trendy right now. I have one too. Mine is written in crayon on a sticky note stuck to my bathroom mirror. Now, that's a real "Simplify" sign.

Speaking of simplifying my life, I was stressing out over the kids' Halloween costumes. I spent hours trying to figure out how to make "Talking French Fries" and the "In-n-Out" guy. Not that it wasn't feasible. I read all y'all's blogs and I know some people find a lot of pleasure in spending hours creating their child's Halloween costume, but for me, it just seemed tiring. That was when I discovered this great thing called online shopping. I sat the kids down at the computer with me and let them pick out new costumes. Easiest thing ever. I always knew throwing money at a problem was the best solution.


Luke chose this Iron Man costume from Target. Charlie wanted to be a bumble bee from Old Navy. So glad this is done.

Something else that seems crazy, and kind of flattering, is the number of Halloween parties we've been invited to this year. I don't ever remember it being this overwhelming. Maybe it's the age of my kids and the fact that everyone feels the need to overcompensate since Halloween is on a Sunday this year. So, I found another way to simplify when asked to bring a treat -


Pillsbury Ready to Bake Cookies! You can't dumb down cookie making anymore than this. True, they are full of junk, but kids don't care! A mother at Luke's preschool party today complained about staying up all night to make these cute chocolate dipped pretzels that looked like scary fingers. I laughed to myself as she spoke, thinking about the 30 seconds I spent putting those cat cookies on a cookie sheet.

5 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS POST. I feel like I am beating the "simplify" trend because MY wooden sign says "Keep it Simple"-- you know, like "Keep it Real"--ha.

    I totally KNOW what you mean about the joy of throwing money at a problem that just seems like a hassle. I'll never forget the first time I ordered my mom-in-law's Mother's Day gift online -- a super cute baking dish from Williams-Sonoma. Had it gift-wrapped, shipped and there on time. SO WORTH IT!!!

    Great job on Luke's and Charlie's costumes! Next year you'll have a little princess to dress up for Halloween-- yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the fact that your "Simplify" sign is in crayon.
    And I love the fact that you, like me, have no qualms about taking semi-homemade treats to parties. I'm not lazy, I'm saving my energy for more important stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in happy valley and I haven't seen a simplify sign! I think your sticky note idea is brilliant! That's the kind I want! I also love that you don't stay up late making cute treats! Kids really don't care about all the fluff that we moms try to put into the holidays! Sugar is sugar! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny about the Simplify sign. You call it right so much of the time. Making halloween costumes is definitely something to satisfy the mom - including me. The kids could care less. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think i have ever been this inspired to comment. I had to go to work full time two years ago. My boys are 10 and 11 now. For six years prior, I have been a teacher, and I managed to do all sorts of things. But now I drive for two hours a day, and am at work for 9 hours. Its crazy but has to be done. So now I say no to a lot of things. I don't teach last minute lessons anymore. I don't take big calilngs at church. I don't make breakfast or dinner or lunch anymore. And for Halloween, I told the kids to find stuff around the house. Here is my tip for you. Right now, go around and look for colored hairspray on sale at lots of places that sell halloween stuff. Every year I get like 10 cans of various colors and save til next year. This year, I had lab coats in my car, and I found some skull tape, and I ALWAYS have basic face paint kit. YOu can get online for next to nothing. It took me 15 minutes and I had scary ghoul doctors, who were very creepy and looked great.
    http://www.msc-worldwide.com/indexusa.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails