5.05.2010

SHOPPING SPREE

It had been a week since the chore chart began and Luke had accumulated $3.60 that was burning a whole in his pocket. He was literally begging me 20 times a day to take him to the store so that he could spend his money. No amount of talk about saving for something big could deter him. Fine. I didn't agree but I obliged. It's his money.

Are you ready for this? Luke purchased -


A Cheap Water Gun (Just discovered it doesn't work.)
Transformers Coloring Book
Hot Rod Car (Already Broke)
A Handful of Sour Candy out of a Vending Machine

It was cute watching him go up to the cash register and just throw a fistful of coins and bills onto the counter. He wanted to spend every last dime and he almost did. I also must confess to being a bad Mom. I didn't use this first week as an opportunity to teach him about tithing or saving. I'll repent and we'll do better next week. However, after seeing his purchases, what I really want to teach him is that he is wasting his money on crappy toys that will be forgotten by the end of the week. I hate cheap, crappy, little toys almost as much as I hate iceberg lettuce and Hootie and the Blowfish. Ugh.


Just so we wouldn't have a major fit on our hands when we were at the store, I bought Charlie a new coloring book. He was in heaven. I wish he would stay this easy to please forever.

5 comments:

  1. My favorite line: "I didn't agree, but I obliged." Isn't parenting just sooo much fun?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to get my 9 year old son to understand the value of saving. His twin sister gets it- she's got almost $200 to blow at the American Girl Doll Store in Denver when we go this summer. She's been saving for a YEAR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The really important questions raised from this blog post are: Why do you hate Hootie and the Blowfish? Do you really hate Hootie and the Blow Fish or just one or the other? Do you still hate Hootie now that he is not with the Blowfish and is now touring on his own as a country singer under the name Darius Rucker? Did Hootie and the Blowfish ever appear on an episode of Sponge Bob? Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha, ha, we are going through the exact same thing with Oliver right now. If he gets any money at all he is not happy until he has spent it on some lame toy or candy. Sigh. In fact we just bought that same Transformers coloring book at the Dollar store today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently told my kindergardener that I'd pay him .25 for every book he read to me. I was just having a hard time motivating him, and I was desperate! Good news is that he is reading very well. And he always wants to buy the junk toys as well... broken the minute he got home. Will he ever learn? I sure hope so, and so I totally get where you're at right now!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails