5.09.2010

MOTHERING ADVICE FROM ALCOHOLLY

An abridged version of my phone conversation with Alcoholly this morning -

Me: Hi! I just wanted to wish you a Happy Mother's Day!

Alco: Oh, thank you. This is such an awful day for me.

Me: I'm sorry.

Alco: But, I will get through this. I will. What is your family doing for you today?

Me: Well, Erik made breakfast, fed and dressed the kids, and right now I can hear him downstairs making homemade bread and getting dinner started. I got to lay in bed for as long as I wanted. It's been a really nice morning.

Alco: You know, Dearheart, you are teaching your family to treat you poorly.

Me: Really?

Alco: Your husband should be doing this every single day. Your actions are influencing generations! When you allow your family to treat you this badly, you are teaching your boys to treat their future wives this way. Your sons are learning from your poor example.

Me: Okay, Happy Mother's Day! [hang up]



I went downstairs and found Erik scrubbing a pan (apparently with his eyes closed) harder than I ever have in my whole life. This is after a 50 hour work week... after fixing our computers... fixing our cars... after still finding time to go out with me last night... do I even deserve everything he does to take care of us? (Now I hear him downstairs vacuuming.)

Alcoholly isn't the only one to give me such crazy advice lately. I had another woman, similar to Alcoholly, say almost the same things to me recently. I know it's well meaning, but I prefer advice from people who's lives I want to emulate. In the future, if I want some heartwarming Mother's Day advice, I'll call my mother or mother-in-law, or read the best talk ever on the subject of mothering. What was I thinking?

I hope you all have a wonderful Mother's Day. This really is my favorite holiday.

11 comments:

  1. I love the visual of Erik scrubbing the pan!

    Happy Mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Cristin! So grateful for your influence on my life...for good. We have such wonderful husbands, so good to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got done reading like 5 of your latest blogs (I don't get on here as much these days) and I have to admit your blogs make me laugh out loud....you are literally one of the funniest people I know, if not the funniest blogger. Thanks for the pick me up, I was having a bad night. Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, that put me over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm I kinda agree with her. I mean whenever I call you Erik is lying on the couch while the kids destroy the house. ha ha erik. And I mean seriously? eyes closed? I think he was sleeping

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that Alcoholly made the headlines in your blog again! (Although it sounds like you can't really win with her anymore... sigh.)

    Nice husband, that Erik!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS-- I meant to tell you: Remember your 4/21 "My Little Paupers" post? Check out Jessica Alba (and Jennifer Garner and Reese Witherspoon...) on Kelley's Mother's Day post and you'll see what I was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a talk given Sunday by a lovely lady who's mom who, let's kindly say, wasn't the greatest...she talked about how she learned things from her mother, even if it was how NOT to do things. Funny, it was one of the only years that I went home on Mother's Day and wasn't depressed about how terrible a mom I am!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truly hilarious. And you're right, that is the best talk ever on mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erik is great. I'm trying to like Mother's Day and Jeremy has been taking good care of me, I just always seem to be grumpy!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails