5.06.2010

ENDURANCE

I was reminded tonight while standing in a super long line to buy chicken during Albertsons 8 hour sale, that I live in a really small town. The kind of town where Albertsons' 8 hour sale is a main event. I almost always see someone I know when in public. Our "entertainment" newspaper runs a regular column about new residents. My kind neighbor takes my trash out every Thursday morning without being asked. The owner of the local bakery asks how my kids are doing when they are not with me. Our little movie theater even shows cartoons occasionally on Saturday morning and sells cereal to go along with it. Doesn't it all sound very quaint?

We should love this place. We should buy a house here... but for some reason, in the 3+ years we have lived here, we just can't take that leap yet. I wonder if it has something to do with feeling so removed from the rest of California. I don't know if I'm ready to accept driving 45 minutes to Costco with a cooler in my car as normal. Call me crazy, but I like big cities and all that they offer. I don't know if I could live here if it weren't for our wonderful friends and the remarkable fact that my husband actually likes his job. I'm tired of people trying to make me think it is normal and good to be so removed.

I actually felt somewhat validated today when I discovered that a Survivor type show for kids taped a season here in 2005. The premise being that the kids are forced to live in a remote location and participate in various mental and physical challenges. It was called Endurance. When I eventually write a book, I am going to steal the name of this television show to use it as the title of this chapter in my life. (My favorite part about the show's introduction is how the kids are forced to live at *gasp!* 4,000 feet above sea level!! Eee gad! The horror!)


4 comments:

  1. I love it every time we come to Tehachapi. I like the clean air, no traffic, four seasons, and the small town atmosphere. I'm sure it's pretty safe place too. Sounds like a great place to raise a family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 comment? Wow I guess no one reallt cares. BUT WOW you are FAMOUS! Again in your life (the first time was when you were on tv, well that was a lot I guess)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cristin, I care. Deeply. Tehachapi does sound really friendly and quaint! (Btw, nice neighbor.) At least you're pretty close to the exciting, glamorous and fast-paced city of Bakersfield, right? (I've been to Bakersfield twice. Good times.)

    I think that if Erik likes his job, your kids are happy, your neighbor takes your trash to the curb for you AND you have a Costco in your time zone, you should sit back, relax, and grill some of that bargain chicken...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm, now I am excited. My hubby just informed me that we might go to Tehachapi for a job and if we do I am calling you for a mommy playdate. You are one of my soul sources of mommy entertainmnt. I love your funniness

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails