5.07.2010

BLACK AWARENESS MONTH

Apparently May is Black Awareness Month in our family.

Today I took the boys to a water spray park for the first time. It was incredibly fun and I forgot my camera in the car so there will be no pictures to accompany this post. Fortunately for us, Luke provided me with a good story.

Imagine me and my two little boys under one tree. Under the tree next to us is a large group of men, women, and children. They all know each other. All the men are wearing wife beaters. Nothing is wrong with wearing a wife beater, I just wanted you to be able to visualize this a little better.

Luke walks in between our two groups, points his finger and loudly says, "Mommy, SHE'S BLACK!! She's black! Her daddy is really black!" I sat there mortified. When I didn't respond, he repeated himself even louder. My response, "That's right and you're white." I'm not sure if that was the best way to address it, but I had to think fast and that was the first thing to come out of my mouth.

We need to get out more.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, at least you live in a quaint and friendly little village! No harm done, I'm sure. Kids do say the darndest things... (Did you turn several shades of RED, or just as WHITE as a ghost at that moment?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's SO awesome. Living out here among tons of diversity, Carson asks the best questions when we are going to meet someone for the first time (like, say, if I have someone coming over for pictures). "Mom, what does she look like?" "She's just a little girl." "No, Mom, what COLOR??" Last year he even made a black Mii character and told us he wanted to be the "black guy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our nephew, sitting by us in church a couple of years ago, was counting the deacons as they went up to the stand and suddenly asked me (loudly), "hey, are those two black?" (There was also a black guy sitting not far from us.) I doubt I addressed it any better than you did :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails