4.08.2010

OH, SO THAT'S HOW THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY

A few weeks ago, I found this library book in Luke's room -


No, we don't have a dog. Charlie did this. Unfortunately, he has a history of destroying books. This, however, was probably the worst damage he's ever done to a book. No amount of scotch tape could fix this book, so I took it back to the library, assuming I would just pay the price indicated on the back cover - $14.95.

Uh, no. In my dreams would it be $14.95.

It was $24.00 to replace this book.

Get this. They actually have a fee schedule unrelated to the actual price of the book. The most expensive book to replace is an adult non-fiction at $41.00!

So, let's pretend that you check out 8 children's books during a library visit. If your child was to destroy all of those books (which is very likely in my house right now), you would owe at least $192.00. I can't believe how careless I have treated library books in the past. If I only knew how expensive they were to replace, I would not even let Charlie look at them, let alone put them in his crib like Erik did last night. Eeek! It's like letting the kid play with blocks of gold.


Way to go, Mr. Destructo.

13 comments:

  1. We saw an armored truck at our library today, and I couldn't figure out why a library would have enough money to require an armored truck pick up. Now I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's why we look at the books at the library...but no child book ever leaves...tried that with kids audio books too...bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another example of Big Literature stickin' it to the little guy. Since you support my anti-AARP group, I'll support your illiteracy program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it makes you feel any better, I had to pay $14 for a library book that got water damaged in our car (leaky canteen on trip to Colorado). But I really did want the book anyway, so it wasn't so bad.
    I guess they must have the fee schedule to deter chronic book destroyers or book losers. Does the town have a thrift store where you could buy Charlie's books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is highway robbery. Sounds almost as devious as university police who issue parking tickets on campus. You simply cannot win.

    To meet their literary needs, you'd be better off taking the boys to the Kids Zone at Borders or Barnes and Noble. At least if they destroy a book there, you'll owe just the retail price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a friend who actually bought the same book on Amazon for the library to avoid the big fee. Worth a try, I guess?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should buy the replacement from Amazon.com at the book's real price or less and bring it in...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know your pain! I left four library books out in the stroller on the lawn one night and of course the sprinklers came on and ruined them all! Needless to say I was $65 poorer and I didn't go to library for a while! We have also destroyed a DVD or 2 and the Provo library used to let you buy your own replacement and that was grand! But then they changed that policy because people kept buying the wrong DVDs... And with all the fines I have paid for late books that get lost under beds and couches I can totally see why they would have a need for an armored truck pick up! Needless to say, the library is not free for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And Just to let you know that was me not Jared!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing how someone who looks so sweet in the last photo could Merritt the name "Mr. Destructo".. haha... the things you learn when kids get involve... Thanks for the tip...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails