4.21.2010

MY LITTLE PAUPERS


This is a picture of Luke giving me a fake smile in his favorite outfit. My poor indigent children. I actually try really hard to not dress them like slobs. I insist that Luke wear a collared shirt to preschool and I try to make their Sunday clothes look semi-decent. However, since Luke started dressing himself this past year, I feel like I have no control over what he looks like. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful he is so independent and I'm thankful for the hand-me-downs from our friends, I just wish Luke had better taste in clothes. (He must take after his Mommy.)


Luke is extremely rough on his clothes. Last month he only had one pair of jeans (out of 8 pairs) without a hole in the right knee. I had become accustomed to buying him a new pair of jeans every month and I was sick of it. I don't really sew, so that wasn't an option. Fortunately I found Dritz Iron-on Patches at Joann's for domestically-challenged people like me!


I bought two packages for less than $4. It was incredibly easy to do. Just cut out a patch and iron it on.


My big failure was that I neglected to match the patch to the jeans appropriately and I was too impatient to go back to Joann's for the right colors. Oh well. Luke is only 3. I would rather he look like a pauper with mismatched patches on his jeans than a pauper with holes in his jeans.


I even did my own pants. This is after I washed it. It stayed on! I may no longer have pride, but at least I'm saving money!

10 comments:

  1. I use patches all the time. I hate to worry about matching the right colors, too. I try to catch the holes before they get too bad and then iron the patches on the inside. This way it patches up the hole, you don't see the patch. You do see a little of the wear, but if you catch it early enough you can hardly tell. Just an idea for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I have cut the legs off jeans to make shorts. Then you can buy that fusible web fabric stuff at Joanns and iron that on. Usually you get a better match that way to the color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started the "play drawer" "school drawer" when Hayden turned 4. Anything junky is in the play drawer and on play days he could pick whatever he wanted. On school days I picked his outfits from the school drawer. Once he was a bit older he got to pick his school clothes as long as they came from the school drawer. My boys aren't allowed to wear their nice clothes to play in. I'm sick of ruining good clothes.

    When Hayden gets home from school he changes into his "junky" clothes. He loves it and so do I. It gives him a chance to pick his own outfits, but this way he's dressed appropriately when we go out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter favors the left knee. I've thought about investing in jeans from Sears since they have a lifetime warranty. Or maybe I'll just let him stay in his hole-y jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to track some of those down. My boys have tears and holes in nearly all of their jeans, too. Goes just great with the grass stains and frayed hems... I just shake my head when I see super expensive jeans that look a lot like their!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jonah has started to favor his curious George shirt and his thomas pjs every day! So i hide them and only let him wear them on certain occasions (like a desperate one)My theory is you only give him good options, like different colored polos and jeans or shorts that will match no matter what! Maybe thats child abuse?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not child abuse to only give them good options, but that only works when they're little. So, do it now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Job...One of my favorite sayings, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem - holes in the knees. I can never get those patches to look right! You did a good job on yours! I've given up on patches.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cristin, relaaaax. Your children don't look like paupers at all. Kid grunge is in. How often do you even see adults with jeans that aren't torn, worn, distressed, etc. I'm sure Kate Hudson's little boy, Ryder, doesn't own a single pair of jeans that aren't faded and thrashed.

    Here's an example (albeit for women): Nordstrom sells Dolce&Gabbana Embellished Distressed Jeans for $1,850.00. Not $185.00. Not $18.50. Almost $2k! Granted they do have some embellishment with Swarovski crystals, but so what?

    Maybe you and the boys could embellish their torn or faded jeans with some grommets or studs? Let them be hip.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails