4.19.2010

THE CULT

Last Friday I joined a cult. No, really, I'm beginning to think it is a cult.

It's called FlyLady and she claims to be my personal coach to help me gain control of my home. To assist with my journey, she insists that I buy overpriced purple cleaning tools. She sends me 15 emails a day containing testimonials about how her program will change my life and little de-cluttering missions to accomplish.

I must admit that (so far) this cult has made me feel really good about myself. Presently, I am only on Day 4 of the Baby Steps. All she wants me to do is shine my kitchen sink, put on my shoes and read her website. What kind of people is she dealing with here if these are "huge tasks"? FlyLady says not to skip ahead, so I'm trying to be patient. It just seems kind of silly that putting on my shoes would be a task. I won't question her system though. I don't want to be a bad cult member.

We'll see if this eliminates "the chaos" that has taken over my life. I say "chaos," but I don't think my house is that messy. I mean, someone can definitely walk through the living room without tripping over tiny troll figurines or stepping in dirty diapers. Then again, my standard of cleanliness has definitely changed since Luke and Charlie joined our family.

9 comments:

  1. That sounds like a fun "cult" to be part of. hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it's a cult because I was able to get out after a few days. I couldn't get my sink clean enough to suit my satisfaction. A friend liked it because it took the guilt out of her non-housecleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute. I actually really like this little cult. I'm going to sign up, or whatever I need to do. I definitely have little voices telling me how behind I am on house chores! And that part about shoes...well apparently putting on your shoes is a task for people because (this is what I heard somewhere anyway)... people that have treadmills at home don't use them often because they fail to put in the little effort of putting on their shoes to get going. Sorry that was a big run-on sentence! Anyway, thanks for introducing us to the fly lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you were in the market for a life coach. I would have given you a steep discount (since you'd be my first customer).

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a cult? I wouldn't have guessed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. I joined this group once, and I had to quit. But I took some vital advice and I still do the 17 fling boogie occasionally. I still dress down to my shoes pretty much first thing in the morning, and I added that I need my makeup on before I leave the house. I could not stand all the emails. But it is a good thing for many people. GOOD LUCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister is a follower. She has three little boys ages 1-9 (and her hubs is a bishop, so she's basically a single mom). No matter what kind of hurricane hits or bomb explodes, she can get her house back together in minutes. Truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought the book from the women who inspired this website ("Sidetracked Home Executives") some years ago and really liked it, though I can't say I have kept up with the program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmm, maybe I should try this out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails