4.12.2010

CHEESE BALL

I had a really good weekend. I got to go to the movies and laughed hysterically while watching Date Night. I visited Alcoholly. (Sorry, no photos. She said I'm never allowed to take any more pictures of her, ever again. She was serious.) I have to say though that the greatest part of my weekend was making Raclette on my new Toastess Party Grill and Raclette!

I know, it doesn't look like much, but this grill is the kind of the thing that dreams are made of. It had been almost 10 years since I had eaten Raclette during my mission to Geneva, Switzerland. The more time passed, the greater this meal became in my head. Fortunately, it delivered.



Raclette is a very simple dish. Just potatoes and cheese. Unfortunately, in my little podunk town, the cheese I wanted, Gruyère, was $16.00 a pound. So, I resorted to buying only 4 ounces of Gruyère and 8 ounces of Gouda. The Gouda was fine, but when I ate the Gruyère, I had a moment like in Ratatouille when the "Grim Eater" eats the ratatouille and it takes him back to his childhood. I swear, I almost started crying.


Unfortunately, the Raclette wasn't all fun. We ate what should have been a 90 minute meal in 10 minutes. It left us both feeling a little sick. Bad idea. In addition, Erik ignored my instructions to not drink anything cold with the Raclette. He chugged a huge glass of ice water which caused a cheese ball to form and harden in his stomach.


Erik might not agree, but I think the Raclette was worth it.

8 comments:

  1. I love Rachlette! They fed it to us in Switzerland when we were there on ballroom tour. I wish I could have it again! It is so delicious. Good to know about the cold drink...I was unaware. Thanks for pioneering that one for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard of this recently from one of the other women in the YW Presidency. SHe has been wanting to do it with the girls for awhile now...we finally have it planned for this month. Now I am really excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't want to say anything that will make you "delete" my comment (my worst nightmare) but there is something that I don't get. Now you will know what I'm talking about... (our little debate) how is it okay to watch the movie you mentioned? Like I said, I don't want to put too much here but is it not obvious about media? Anyway that is really funny about a "cheese ball forming in his stomach" I mean is that really true? It sounds legit, I'm just still not sure if it is for real.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad about the Alcoholly photo ban. Really sad. (I hope it won't stop you from posting about her.) Nice that you could visit her though!

    Raclette sounds yummy and fun! Good warning about the ice water and cheese reaction. Who knew? (You obviously did.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the Raclette post. We just had raclette for dinner a few weeks ago. We are going to be in Utah in two weeks - wish I could bring you some REAL swiss cheese - namely Racard cheese so you can even more authenticate your meal - but since you are in Cali. I guess you will still just have to come visit us to pick up the cheese for your raclette.

    Jacob can only handle the raclette meal about once every few months though, because all that cheese, potatoes, sausage, bacon, etc. really does settle like a rock. He has learned to temper himself and stick to just a few cheese slices - it just tastes so good!

    Big news for us, we will be heading back to Zurich in June, so au revoir to Geneva for now - we will miss our English speaking ward, but look forward to heading back to Zurich any way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man! I love our Raclette!! We get a Raclette meal tomorrow night when we have some friends over. Delish!! I never really thought about the cold drink thing though...I'll keep that in mind! :)

    Glad you were able to enjoy!!

    P.S. Thanks for all the nice comments you always leave on my blog :) It's always great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A cheese ball did not form in my stomach... I just over ate, like usual when the food is superb. Nothing like see pictures of myself on your blog to make me feel bad about myself. Time for a hair cut, and to lose 20 lbs. I don't want to be mistaken as Sir Elton John...again.

    word verification: asheheol

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is kaci talking about? and I didn't know you you had Reginald Dwight over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails