4.23.2010

BOOK REVIEW: THE HUNGER GAMES


I've started reading again... not like I ever stopped reading. It's just that now I'm making a new attempt to read more than Facebook status updates, blogs, and teen mom biographies on the 16 and Pregnant website. I joined a book club at the beginning of this year and it's been good for me. I normally only read non-fiction books, so it's caused me to branch out with things I might normally disregard.

This month was my chance to choose the book and I picked The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I read this 350+ page book in 4 days. Now I can never use the excuse that I don't have time, because obviously I make time for silly things I find important. (As if you already didn't know that by the mere fact that I am still updating this blog.)

I loved The Hunger Games. It's post-apocalyptic (my absolute favorite genre), a love story, and people die. It was awesome. The story about these poor kids being forced to enter into a fight to the death isn't the most creative idea, but I forgive the author since her target audience is teenagers born long after The Running Man. Since the book is written for teenagers, it is extremely easy to read and get sucked into. The world of the future in this book is really creepy, yet familiar. I kept waiting for someone to scream something like, "Soylent Green is people!" or "I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

I'm sad I finished the book.*

*I ordered Catching Fire this morning.

10 comments:

  1. I love post apocalyptic too maybe not as much as you as I can't say it is my favorite genre, but survival stories of all kinds are. Thanks for the review--I'll be reading that ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...so are you going to read the second book in the series "Catching Fire"? It's a great continuation of the first book. And I heard that someone is making a movie based on the series. Have you heard that, too, or is it just a rumor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, this book sounds good. I need a good book lately. I've been picking at old favorites lately and I really need something new. I'll have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this book put on hold for me at the library last month, but then took too long to pick it up. Glad to hear you liked it! I'll have to put a re-hold on it.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cristin,
    I also loved this book. I recommended it to Elaine a long time ago and she didn't like it. But her least favorite genre is post-apocalyptic. Go figure :)Catching Fire is also good, but not as good as Hunger Games (in my opinion). Oh and I love young adult books and I don't care who knows it (except Twilight...sorry Twi-hards).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the second one better, once it got past the drama of her teenage love affairs and into the meat of the story. The funny things about this book is that I will never look at reality TV or BIG government the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my favorite books! The third one is coming out this summer and I CAN'T WAIT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally just read this book last week! And Catching Fire. I'm kinda annoyed that I started this series without all of the books being out already. I wanna continue on with the rest already! I hate having to wait. But I am excited for the rest.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails