3.08.2010

MAKE IT STOP


Erik has been working a lot lately, which means that I eat dinner alone with the kids. This has led me to believe that there will be a point in hell where a person will be forced to eat several consecutive dinner meals as the only adult with two small children. That thought alone is enough to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I never know what to make for dinner when it is just me and the kids. When it is just me by myself, I try to choose the meal that will provide me with the most peaceful mealtime experience. Things they will eat happily are just about limited to pizza, peanut butter and jelly, waffles, plate loads of bacon, blueberries and ice cream. It's no fun trying to coax both of the kids to eat, break up the inevitable fights, and try to eat my dinner, when I am flying solo.


Tonight was crazy because I chose the wrong meal. I tried to get the kids to eat baked potatoes loaded with toppings. Bad idea. Charlie screamed for 20 minutes straight because he wanted juice and bacon. Luke wouldn't stop waving his fork violently in front of my face. All I could think was, "This must be why people get fat." Erik's failure to make it home for dinner is slowly driving me into the arms of another man. A man named Ronald McDonald. Although I hate McDonalds, how easy would it be to just go sit in the McPlayland, eat my McNuggets, drink my McCafe drink and let the kids thrash around in a McPit of balls for an hour?

I hope this doesn't last forever.

11 comments:

  1. My younger kids don't like too many different kinds of food, either. And my middle daughter is a vegetarian. My husband loves to hunt, and we have cattle, so that is interesting. The only thing to offer is that I agree with you about the hell thing...sorry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cristin, please don't go McCrazy on us. It's time you called in Nanny McPhee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie loves Bacon? That's cute, Erik must be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude...I thought you learned your lesson from the singles ward thanksgiving all those years ago...baked potatoes are a no! no!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I hear ya. I don't know how many times I've thought this same thing lately. I hate making dinner for just me and the kids. I also think Charlie wanting bacon is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to cut those boys hair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello I’m a lurker but I have commented before... I love your sense of parenting humour!
    My hubby worked away for weeks and weeks at a time when my kids were babies and toddlers. I DESPISED dinner time. I actually made huge lunches and tried to make the evening as stress free as possible (aka we ate a lot of toast). Good luck … it gets heaps easier as they get older IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder just how much bacon they eat to be crying for it? I like the idea of feeding them a really big lunch maybe a morning snack then a little later lunch to hold them over, then just give them a gronola bar and some fruit or something for dinner. I mean they do that in a lot of other countries, and it obviously won't kill them since it doesn't seem like they are hardly eating anything for dinner anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOu never fail to make me laugh with your posts. Thanks! You're the best visiting teacher EVER! Even when you aren't visiting you grace me with your blog presence and brighten my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu never fail to make me laugh with your posts. Thanks! You're the best visiting teacher EVER! Even when you aren't visiting you grace me with your blog presence and brighten my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so with you on this!! When jared gets home late and I have had to do homework with the older girls, make dinner, give baths, make a second dinner because nobody ate their first dinner, and then put them to bed all by myself I am so grumpy to Jared when he gets home! Because some how I feel that it is all his fault! But it so is right? :0)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails