2.02.2010

MOVIE REVIEW: THE COVE



At my sister's urging, I watched The Cove last night. Never heard of it? Neither had I. A film about the killing and exploitation of dolphins didn't sound that appealing to me. Although it did win the Audience Award at Sundance last year which proves that everyone likes a good dolphin killing movie. (Hey! It was a joke!)

The catalyst for the movie, and I'm not kidding, is Ric O'Barry, one of the stars and trainers of Flipper. According to Mr. O'Barry, Flipper, who's real name was Kathy, committed suicide in his arms. This changed Mr. O'Barry's life. Instead of exploiting dolphins, he wanted to save them, thus becoming a radical activist who dons scuba gear and frees dolphins from captivity. His goal in making The Cove is exposing the annual killing of thousands of dolphins in Japan. He gets Industrial Light and Magic to construct crazy cameras for hiding in rocks. trees, etc. and hires two free diving champions to go into this cove and place them. They catch exactly what they wanted to see: dead dolphins.

Did I cry and scream with horror as I watched the dolphins being slaughtered to death? No. Did I cry to learn that Flipper's (aka Kathy's) cries for help were ignored and she committed suicide? No. Did I cry watching these people spend millions of dollars just to film about 5 hours of dolphins be slaughtered? Yes.

If you read my Avatar review, then you probably already think I'm heartless. So it will come as no surprise that I don't feel the need to become an activist after seeing this movie. I don't agree with dolphin killing for no reason and I probably won't go to Sea World ever again, but that's about as far as I'll take it. As referred to in the film with disgust, it seems that I am an "inactivist." So be it.

Still, the movie was kind of entertaining and the thermal cameras were cool.

GRADE: B

9 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that I can always count on the ordinary housewife for up-to-date and informative reviews. Keep 'em coming...and just out of curiosity - there wasn't any humor in the suicide references right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I long for the good old days before dolphin safe tuna. When you could open a can of Starkist or Chicken of the Sea and expect to get some dolphin in each tasty bite. The flippy little dolphin lobby is getting way too powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does a dolphin commit suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering the same thing as the comment above- how exactly DOES a dolphin commit suicide? And how exactly would one know if that is what the Dolphin's intent was? This Ric O'Barry sounds like an interesting guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, you've never heard of dolphin suicide?? :)

    In the movie they say that every breath a dolphin takes is a decision. If they decide not to breathe, they decide to die.

    So, no, Megan, not joking about the suicide thing. They say in the movie that a dolphin smile is very deceptive. They're really dying inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristin I have a good news for you - you are not heartless, you are normal, whatever was the definition of normality only in previous century, when people ate chicken meat and beef for nutrional purposes and wore animal skins to keep themselves warm in the winter time. All of sudden it became abnormal, next thing you now there is going to be debate whether or not dolphins have a right to be elected into Senate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to cry when I saw what they were doing to them. And I will never go to Sea World again nor will I take part in any tourist "swim with the dolphins"

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not heartless by any means. Rationally sensitive I'd say.
    Now I want to know what the deal is with Sea World...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dolphin suicide-- who knew? I always learn valuable stuff when I read your fascinating blog. Truly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails