2.14.2010

HAPPY ANNA HOWARD SHAW DAY

When it comes to Hallmark Holidays, I would rank my least to favorite in this order -

4. Secretary's Administrative Professional's Day
3. Valentine's Day
2. Father's Day
1. Mother's Day

Valentine's Day was awesome in my mystical teenage fantasies, then crushed when I actually began dating. I never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. If I was dating a guy in February (and this happened to me three times) they always managed to break up with me right before the 14th. A few times those boys wanted to start dating again about a week later. Don't tell me that's a coincidence. I know a strategic plan when I see one.

Ironically, the best Valentine's Day that I ever had before I got married was the one when I was dating no one. There were no expectations or heartbreak, so I was pleasantly surprised with the valentines and goodies I received from random guys in my single's ward. Those were the days.

So, I should loooooove Valentine's Day now that I am a married lady. Right? It's still so-so for me. It's not that I hate love. I hate unmet expectations, so I try not to have any. Last night, Erik told me he had to go to the store to buy me some flowers and I stopped him. I said, "Save the money." It's just not romantic for me when I know he's doing it only because it's Valentine's Day. The flowers and dinner he surprised me with last week are much more meaningful to me because it wasn't Valentine's Day. Or maybe I should just say that when my husband and I do nice things for each other all the time, Valentine's Day kind of loses its meaning. That's okay with me.

Just because I said no to flowers, doesn't mean that he didn't give me anything nice for Valentine's Day.


Luke's cousin, Wyatt, is visiting this weekend. We love Wyatt and I am so happy to have him here because it gives the kids someone to play with. Well, Charlie woke up sick this morning, so Erik agreed to take Luke and Wyatt to Sacrament Meeting at church while I stay home with Charlie during the first hour. Is it bad that I am so grateful not to be sitting in church by myself with two little wiggly boys?

I know you don't read my blog regularly, Erik, but just in case you do, I wanted to say thanks for being willing to take the crazy boys to church by yourself. It really is the greatest Valentine's Day gift of all not having to wrestle with kids during sacrament meeting.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great Valentine's Day to me. I was just talking with my single sister about how Valentine's is not so great when you don't have anyone to share it with. I told her that it isn't much better when you have kids. There must be this short little span in life where it is actually the romantic bliss that it is hyped up to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel the same way you do...the surprise is better than the holiday thing...commercialization has ruined it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered how you've been doing this weekend with Wyatt there playing with your boys!Cute picture of them in their Sunday clothes and hair combed! Love it.
    I enjoyed your comments in this blog....years ago, I could totally relate. John thinks ahead now, though, and I really appreciate that. Also, my expectations are not big, because like you said, our husbands do nice things for us all the time and not just for a holiday.
    Enjoy your Presidents Day today with Wyatt. I know Ditte is heading out your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. That, to me, is the best Valentine's Day gift EVER. An entire hour without the kids. (okay, well, with one of them, but if he was sick, maybe he was sleeping, so you got to, too? Hope springs eternal).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you; Valentines day was much more fun in Elementary School when you got to eat cookies and make paper mailboxes and get character valentines from your friends in your class. In high school/college, I preferred to refer to V-Day as Single Awareness Day (S.A.D.). Just out of curiosity, what is Anna Howard Shaw day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valentine's is my least favorite holiday! Jeremy is great, but I do feel bad for all the pressure that's on everyone. And poor Jerm, this last week was a very grumpy one for me!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails