1.02.2010

TRASH TALK

I was originally planning on writing something funny about my New Year's resolutions, but after this week, I don't feel like being funny right now.

Today I walked into my garage and decided to do something unusual for me. Like someone who was possessed, I filled up my entire truck with garbage in 10 minutes. When I finished, I looked at the load and couldn't believe how we had been living with so much junk for so long. Since our washer and dryer are in the garage, I had literally been walking through piles of trash every time I had to do a load of laundry. Then, I drove it to the local landfill, backed it up to the big pile of trash, got into the bed of the truck and just started throwing the trash as far as I could. It felt wonderful. I loved it so much that I didn't even mind the flies, smell, or view. I was sad that I only had one truckload. I wish I could have thrown more trash.

So, this is my New Year's Resolution: I want to throw away trash - in every sense of the word. I want to go through closets and get rid of stuff. I want to stop being a consumer of crap. I want to "throw away" my unrealistic expectations, bad habits, and anger towards things I can't control. I'm sure as the year goes on I will find more stuff to throw away, but for now this list seems like a pretty good start.

It's a new decade which makes me incredibly sentimental. I welcomed this last decade as a missionary in Chambery, France. It was against the rules to stay up until midnight, but I still remember being woken up by the sound of furniture flying out of windows. Evidently, our French neighbors liked to celebrate the new year by throwing things away, albeit violently. I thought they were crazy, but now I get it.

My neighbors better watch out.

14 comments:

  1. ya Erik is a bit of a collector of junk! Not as bad as some people I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing this! I get so sick of the same thing - too much stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haans and I went through every kitchen cupboard yesterday and organized it and through stuff away. It was so nice to walk into a clean, organized kitchen this morning. It really does some good to the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister! What a great post. I really need(ed) to do the same thing, but I didn't realize it until I read your post and you put it perfectly into words for me. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a GREAT resolution. We're trying to declutter too. I always feel guilty throwing the stuff into the landfill but the relief I feel on the way home is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! I love getting rid of stuff! I have been organizing like crazy here. I felt so productive yesterday getting all our Christmas stuff down and organizing and making our bedroom look nice again. It's been so messy for months. And we have a trash pile on the side of our house. I think I should take your advice and thow it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that last comment was from me.:)
    ylfelynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristin, great post! I learned about throwing stuff away along time ago. No doubt about it, stress in your life will go down when you eliminate junk and organize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. GREAT RESOLUTION!! Lovin' your "trash talk"--so inspiring! Have you ever read Peter Walsh's book "It's All Too Much"?? Its subtitle is: "An Easy Plan For Living A Richer Life With Less Stuff." We have become such a consumer-nation. Scary.

    I think it was Elder L. Tom Perry, who once gave a really good conference address about clutter and always having to move "piles of stuff" around, until he finally de-cluttered and got organized. I wish I could find it. Do you remember it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you put things that I feel into words. You're a very talented writer. And I feel the same way--I LOVE throwing things away, both literally and otherwise. It's an amazing feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I would love to throw away bunch of junk from my garage like that, however my hubby will lay his dead body there before I'll get his precious junk out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katherine - I found the talk! I had never heard it before. Thanks for the reference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Cristin, that is great! What was the date on that talk? For some reason I couldn't find it.

    Btw, I meant to comment on your resolution to "throw away" the intangible stuff too-- like unrealistic expectations, anger/resentment, bad habits, etc. THAT kind of baggage/clutter can actually be more burdensome and zap more of our energy than all the usual garbage. Great point!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your resolution is very well put Cristin, I love it! I'm totally one of those people who is a "neat freak", I HATE clutter and the chaotic feeling it brings into the home, and I love your point that the intangible clutter brings the same feeling to your body, mind and spirit. Thanks for inspiring me to do the same! Ü

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails