1.05.2010

MOVIE REVIEW: AVATAR

On Friday afternoon, I drove down to the movie theater and decided to see the first movie playing... no matter what. It was Avatar.

I had never seen a preview or read a review about the movie. That is the problem with not having cable. I didn't care to know anything about Avatar, so I didn't seek any information out. Typically before I go to a movie, I research it and read reviews. (I'm not joking. I hate wasting money on lame movies.) However, on Friday, I was in a bad mood. The kind of mood where your husband demands that you go to the movies by yourself. I was just happy I wasn't stuck watching Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakqual.

At first, I really liked Avatar. I thought it would be one of those post-apocalyptic/futuristic movies that I love. The main guy kind of looked like a more affordable Ewan MacGregor. The scientific stuff was interesting. I had high hopes until [spoiler alert] everyone turned into blue Jar-jar Binks type things jumping around in Fern Gully. If I would have had any idea that the movie was going to be about a love story between these blue things, I would have found something else to watch.

It was excruciating. The plot was boring. I felt like I was trapped in some nerd's Second Life fantasy. I could care less about their tails plugging into everything. I could never figure out if the female Blue Things had breasts they were trying to cover up or not. As far as I was concerned, the destruction of the Blue Things' Hometree was just life in the big city. Get over it, already. I looked at my watch an hour into the movie and thought it could go one of two ways - either the technology cost so much that the movie would be over quickly or James Cameron made another really long movie. It was the latter. Just when I thought that movie was over, there would be another, and another, and ANOTHER ending! The only positive part about watching it through till the end was that I got to see Ana Lucia (Michelle Rodriguez) die.

So, I go home. I tell Erik it was awful and that he missed nothing. Then I go on the computer and discover that it is one of the highest grossing films of all time. I learn that I am only 1 of about 10 people in the whole universe that hate it. I wonder if people's opinions of movies are heavily influenced by reviews or if I am a weirdo. The answer is probably a little of both.

GRADE: D+

18 comments:

  1. I think Bryan and I bump that 10 up to a 12. We did not like Avatar, and we're total nerds. Like, own-2-whole-Star-Trek-series-and-Firefly nerds. In theory, we should have eaten Avatar up with a spoon. But we didn't. The bad guys were horribly flat, the dialogue was painful, and the "message" was way too heavy-handed. It was pretty, I'll give it that. But that's all I'm giving it.

    I wish I'd seen Sherlock Holmes instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. l feel for you, Cristin! I could not stand New Moon movie just as much as everyone is raving about it. I thought that Robert Pattison expression in the parting scene demonstrated a serious lack of actors talent. Thanks for sharing your experience with Avatar, one less movie to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Matt that I only make it to the movies once every 6 months and I was NOT wasting my time on some stupid teenage boy movie...Court confirmed my opinion and said CAMERON IS an IDIOT, albeit a rich idiot...which makes it worse because people are just furthering his lameness! Matt was so angry after he saw it (and its stupid message) that he spewed nothing but bile whenever it was brought up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The people we saw it with loved it, but I also thought it excrutiating. Especially the "oh yeah, that's what I thought! Go bring back some friends, bleepin yeah man" or whatever he said the first time he went into the jungle. Dude, I almost died. The last little bit got a bit better to me, but I was blown away reading some reviews today and seeing how much money it's brought in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a hard time going to the movies, because if you give me a semi-comfy seat, and turn out the lights, I fall right asleep. But with this movie, I was interested and alert. Sure, there was an underlying liberal message about Big Biz vs. Native Inhabitants - but maybe it was that I was with my teenaged daughters and I just caught on to their enthusiasm. Whatever. Not all movies are made for all people. And there's nothing wrong with that!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not seen the movie, so I have nothing to say about it. However, I must say that I love the fact that Erik basically demanded that you take a break and go see a movie! Um, maybe you should get moody more often, haha!

    Speaking of movies, have you seen "Julie and Julia" and, if so, did you like it? (Just wondering, since you're an avid blogger.)

    Note to Margot: my sis saw "Sherlock Holmes" tonight and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a movie person, and really have no interest in seeing this ... but I did crack up with this post my husband shared on Google Reader:

    http://www.clusterflock.org/2010/01/pocatar.html

    Seriously; saves me a whole lotta time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zach saw this, and afterwards told me he wants to take me to see it because I would love it.. WHAT! i have never had a desire to see this and have no clue what its about. Your spoiler alert confused me even more. p.s.i wish my husband would demand me to go out by myself once in a while.. how bad of a mood do i need to be in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me to the did-not-like-it category. For me the singing with arms linked sealed its fate as a movie I will not ever see again. I started laughing, much to the horror of the misty-eyed people next to us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katherine - I LOVED Julie and Julia. Very inspiring, however when I did some research afterward online I was shocked to hear the turn her life had taken after she published her first book. Good movie, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea how this movie could be good and why there is so much hype about it. It LOOKS awful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cristin, thanks for your response about Julie and Julia. I just did a little research on Julie Powell and you're right-- whoa!

    Btw, do you remember the date of Elder L. Tom Perry's talk? Still can't put my finger on it and it's bothering me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katherine -

    Sorry! I kept meaning to send it to you. The date is 11/2/03 - it was a CES broadcast. I think this is the one you are talking about.

    Cristin

    ReplyDelete
  14. All we have heard are rave reviews, and I love that you hated it. Why?! Because I'm not interested in seeing it at all, and my husband will be happy to hear someone's review who does not love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, this has to be the most shallow review I've ever read. I guess this is supposed to be ... funny?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Cristin, thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha, I saw Avatar twice and LOVED it. I totally didn't think I would.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyone I've talked to that saw it hated it. I have no interest in seeing it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails