1.29.2010

DOMESTICATE ME


About 4 times a year, Erik falls asleep the same time as the kids. Tonight was one of those special (and rare) nights. It was 8:30 p.m. and I found myself sitting on the stairs in a completely quiet house.

Lately I have felt this urge to become more domesticated. I've struggled with that a lot in the past. I don't scrapbook, make headbands, decorate my house, or cook exceptionally well. Sometimes I feel like I have no common interest or skill to offer my friends. In an effort to be more interesting, I once asked for a sewing machine for Christmas. Tonight, two years later, I finally used it for the first time.

I'm not sure yet how I feel about sewing in general. My first project is a blanket that I have intended to make for Charlie since he was in the womb. It's a little monotonous and easy to mess up. Every time I sew a stitch, I panic that the bobbin is going to come undone and I'll have to make a new one. I'll be glad when the blanket is finished.

Letting my new sewing machine sit in the closet for over 2 years has taught me that I need to do more things for me. Not in a narcissistic and selfish kind of way, but rather in a way that will help me learn, grow, and become more well rounded. I really want to stop being the person who avoids doing hard things.

I know what you are all wondering. The answer is no, I am not selling this blanket on Etsy when I am done. Instead, depending on how this project goes, I may sell the sewing machine.

11 comments:

  1. You go girl! I hope you decide to hang on to the sewing machine a little bit longer until you get through a few more projects. Sewing can be frustrating, but challenging as well, which can be satisfying once you have overcome any hang ups along the way. Sewing is great for me because I am okay with a not completely perfect product at the end because I made it myself. Although lately I am not making as many mistakes and coming up with fun things. I have made practical things like pillowcases for my child's toddler pillow (out of an old sheet) as well. Anyway, good luck and I hope Charlie likes his blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you! Can't wait to see how the blanket turns out! And yes, I agree with the above comment that although it can be quite frustrating to sew, it makes it really rewarding at the end of the project. ...I wondered if I left my scissors there! I couldn't find them when I got home. :) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. ill buy it from you. the sewing machine not the blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I want a sewing machine. And uhhh as I was reading this, I really feel that you should start with your house. You know, maybe actually think about making it look cute or atleast a little bit cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why dont you take a sewing class?
    My machine is buried right now and I cant wait to dig it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do this! Sewing is not a mystery- there is ONE way to get good at it. To sew. I've screwed up many, many projects. Sewing used to make me cuss like a sailor and I'd get so frustrated. Now, I'm pretty good at it. In fact, I even LIKE sewing now. Expect to mess up a few projects. It's all about learning. You can become good at any domestic task you wish if you just dig in and try. So WHAT if you fail sometimes? I've ruined sewing projects, dinner, family photos etc. all in pursuit of learning new things. Give yourself permission to do it imperfectly and you'll enjoy the process more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only sewing I do is when I'm helping my mom make costumes for the bazillion plays my siblings are involved in. The great thing about costumes is--who cares what they look like up close? As long as they look decent from 50 feet away, they're great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck. :) I already sold my machine! LOL.

    Jeslyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! But DON'T give up after the first blanket. Practice makes perfect. You should have seen that first blanket/apron/dress I ever made. They were all crap. But I tried again, and I ended up being a pretty good sewer. But you have a good thing going in that you picked out super cute fabric. A print like that can get away with a lot! D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whatever you want to do to become domesticated :-), you should like it. You know the comment about not being narcissistic. Find something you love. It is so rewarding. You know, as I type this, I am thinking of all the things you are really good at that you love, and I think, forget the sewing, cooking, scrapping...you're wonderful. Do something you love. There's so many choices available to us as far as hobbies go, these days. Isn't it amazing. We turn anything into a hobby. Don't ask me what I was doing tonight. I'm nesting...like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. C'mon Cristin! Put your blanket on Etsy-- I wanna buy it!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails