12.13.2009

TIME BOMB

Would it be so bad if I stopped eating meals with my kids? My experience tonight just about solidified that thought for me. Charlie has turned into a nightmare. If there is one thing on his plate he doesn't like, he throws it across the room. I'm tired of picking up tiny pieces of pork off the ground and cleaning scrambled eggs out of Luke's hair. It's very scary to serve food to Charlie. He's literally like a ticking time bomb. When he's finished eating, he throws his remaining food too. I'm at the point where if I could either nurse him or give all his food to him intravenously, I would totally do it.

I've read the statistics about the importance of eating together as a family, but I wonder if when those writers said "family" they meant toddlers. I highly doubt it. I just don't know if I can live like this anymore.

Here's my plan -

Erik and I nibble on goldfish crackers and raisins until the kids are in bed at 8 p.m. Then we have steak or lobster by candlelight. We do this every night. We are happy. End of plan.

Sounds good, eh?

10 comments:

  1. Why not have Charlie clean up his own mess? If he's big enough to move a chair to copy Luke's time out, he's big enough to pick pieces of pork and eggs off the floor and put them in the trash can.

    I bet if you start making him clean up his own messes the food throwing will not last long.

    Also? Get a dog! Dogs are amazing for helping to clean up er... food shrapnel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me, I'll even help with the coo..ehr grilling :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great plan! Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice dinner every night with no kids?! You're a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make Nina pick up her food if she throws it on the floor. What a brilliant idea to have meal without kids, it certainly reduces Mommy's anxiety of having everyone pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, in our house, Jackson usually eats before we do. Then he does something else while we eat. I usually give him the choice to eat with us again, but most of the time he is done. There will come a time when they can handle waiting and eating with you, but until then, keep your sanity.
    I agree with the others to make Charlie clean up the mess, or as soon as he throws something, then you say, "Oh, it looks like you're done. Time to get down." Then you immediately take his food away and he's done. You may feel guilty at first, but you know you aren't starving your kid. After a few times (and major fits) he'll probably get the point and quit throwing the food. If he's like Jackson, then on the third time, he'll throw it on purpose just to see what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know people that do this.. and it works out great. Especially if you can get the kids to go to bed early each night its not bad to get to eat alone and in peace at 730 or 8 every night. Then when they get a little older, you can eat all together, it won't harm anything I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will get better. If you wait until your kids are "good" to start family dinner you'll never start. Suffer through it now, and be happy you did when your kids are older.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The statistics are totally talking about older kids. Toddlers are excluded. We've already switched to eating without kids, and I love it. You're still there with them, and it's the interaction that's important, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I have to agree with Kimberly. Don't do it. There's reasons for everything. Doesn't mean it will be easy. Besides, eating after 8 pm makes you fat. Ha ha. I just had a sugar cookie at 10 pm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eating dinner WITH toddlers is sooo overrated. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails