12.22.2009

COME FLY WITH ME

On Saturday, the kids and I met Erik at the airport down the street from our house. He's about 90% done with his pilot's license and he spent Saturday flying all over the place trying to complete some of his final hours. I'm proud of Erik. This is something he has wanted to add to his list of hobbies for a very long time.


Whenever people ask what our hobbies are, Erik has never had a problem rattling off a list of things that he is interested in. Erik even has a place on his resume for his hobbies (and I quote, "Student pilot; Surfing; Scuba Diving; Kiteboarding; Snowboarding; Photography; Salt Water Reef Aquariums; Currently restoring 1941 Oldsmobile.") If I listed my hobbies on my resume, it would say, "Planning Vacations I will Never take, Being Sarcastic, Changing Diapers and Playing Scrabble on my iPod." Not exactly interesting dinner conversation.

I'm not sure if I was just born boring or if it happened when I started having kids. Either way, it's been on my mind a lot lately. I need something interesting. Erik says I should write a book about teenagers and vampires, except that, unfortunately, this idea has already been taken by a Mormon housewife. Maybe teenagers and wizards? Snap! That one has already been done too.


Something else on my mind is how to celebrate the completion of Erik's pilots license next month. Besides the obvious (acquire more life insurance), I'm thinking of throwing a party. I'll keep you posted.

9 comments:

  1. So exciting for Erik. Can't wait for him to take me flying. Will your life insurrance cover me too. :-) See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOw I didn't realize he was so close to being done! You forgot to add blogging, playing the piano, watching a lot of movies, making homemade tortillas, singing sarcastically, and driving diesel cars. You have lots of hobbies! you just don't realize it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could always turn well-beloved chick lit into zombie stories. Oh wait . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! Lots of hours and learning! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cristin, you are a great writer. You should write a book about being a mom. I bet it would be really funny and inspiring. congrats to Erik. As for my hobbies, I have 7 - my husband and my kids. :) I figure I'll have time for all that stuff when I'm a grandma inbetween visiting the grandkids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to discuss hobbies with you. I find you very interesting and a great friend. Can't wait to see you, we'll talk scrabble on the iTouch when I see you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should look to write something. You are very talented at that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make me laugh out loud! I'm so proud that you are my visiting teacher!!! That killed when you said, "being sarcastic" was one of your hobbies! Ha! I think you should write a book, I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you must just be a boring person naturally. Don't feel bad, I'm that way too. For one of my classes this semester, I had to create an online profile for our class website (lame), and I could not think of any interesting hobbies to list. Not one. I finally wrote, "reading, writing, blogging, and Diet Dr. Pepper."

    When I read your list of hobbies, I'm not even kidding you, my first thought was, "YOU CAN PLAY SCRABBLE ON THE IPOD?!" I've gotta find that app. But only if it's free.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails