11.12.2009

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

I remember the night I found out I was pregnant with Charlie. I didn't sleep for a week. I was petrified about having two kids. I felt trapped before he was even born. I couldn't imagine ever being able to take both of them shopping or to the park. Especially when they were both mobile. AGH! The horror!

Well, obviously that has changed. Last week did a lot for my ego. It felt amazing being able to do so many things with the kids. No more being "trapped" by my own illusions of difficulty. So what if the kids are constantly running away from me in public? I can do anything!

So, on my trip home from San Diego last Friday, I decided to take it to the limit. The 3 and a half hour car trip was only part of the challenge. I wanted to see how much I could really do with the kids by myself in one day. If I had a nervous breakdown, that would mean it was time to stop.


On the way home, we visited Alcoholly for a couple of hours. I was a little worried, because when I called to confirm the visit, she emphatically said, "I can't wait to hold you in my arms again, Cat." (Who is Cat??) However, everything went well, there was no mention of this "Cat" person and she took Charlie trying to head butt her remarkably well (as pictured above).


THEN, we went to Disneyland for the afternoon. That's right, I am officially amazing (or crazy). I took a 1 year old and 3 year old to Disneyland by myself.

This was the 2nd time we had been there in a week, so I wasn't under a lot of pressure to do everything. I kept it very simple - Handy Manny show, Bug's Life rides, Pixar Parade. The only temper tantrum came when I said we were leaving and even then it wasn't bad enough to never go back.


As if that wasn't enough (remember I was taking it to the limit), I decided to take the kids into a gas station to buy Subway sandwiches on our way home. Then, you guessed it, that's when my nervous breakdown occurred.

What should have been a 5 minute visit, turned into 40 minutes. Every time we got into line to order a sandwich, I would have to run after one of the kids, lose my place in line, and start all over again. You would think someone watching my ordeal would let me keep my place in line. No. Add to that the kids grabbing every imaginable package off the gas station shelves. I finally ordered my sandwich by literally pinning Luke to the floor with my feet while using my hands to restrain Charlie. The Subway sandwich clerk thought it was "so funny" and couldn't stop laughing. If I had a 3rd hand I would have punched her in the face. Good thing I don't have a 3rd hand.

So, to recap:

Alcoholly's - Good.
Disneyland - Fantastic.
Gas Station - Causes Nervous Breakdown with Small Children.

9 comments:

  1. Holy Cow...what were you doing up so late???
    Now I have to go back and read the post...i was so shocked to see someone up as late as me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hats off! ha. goodness, i swear sometimes people need to have children to understand when to jump in.

    one afternoon (in a gas station-what's up with those?) my 2 year old was running up in down the aisle sloshing her slurpee everywhere, while my 6 year old had decided to ACT like a 2 year old and was sitting on the ground wailing because I said no to a doughnut. so.. running around a small gas station chasing my 2 year old and grabbing napkins to clean things up... a man looked at me and said "uh, looks like you have your hands full."

    yes, sir, i do.

    glad to hear you made it home. 10 pts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I cant believe no one would let you back in the line! UGH rude people!
    I would've held your spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really know the feeling of anxiety with taking 2 young kids to a public place! I related so well to this post! It The whole "Cat" thing was too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use to get "Wow, you have your hands full" at least a couple times a day. Thanks Captain Obvious, I wasn't aware!!! But now that my kids are getting older I hear less of that, so thats positive.

    The people at Subway should have been a little more accommadating. I think the Subway workers should have piped in and said, "I think that lady is next" or something. Good thing you don't have that 3rd arm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Now YOU are amazing. I am definitely at the feeling trapped stage. I feel like I will never leave my house again without help. I hope I can one day have your confidence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so impressed! You did very well- and even managed to improvise at the gas station!

    I have just left the 'feeling trapped' phase. My kids are 9 (twins) and 6 and it is so much more fun to go places and do things with them. You'll be there someday then look back and LAUGH at this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought you were amazing before this post. Now I think you're a superwoman. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you.
    I like to do that kind of a thing once in a while myself--though I can't say we've done Disneyland. John is rough though, and a breakdown is imminent (referring to both he and I.) Sometimes it just backfires and we both come home cranky.
    Eventually I forget and try it again. You'd think at 5 he'd be over a lot of this. Not even close.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails