10.22.2009

SICKO

Candace frantically called me this week to ask if Erik was beating me. Leslie asked if Erik hacked into my account. Others questioned my sincerity. That is because my Facebook status was -

Cristin has the best husband in the world. Sorry everyone else.

Is it that rare for me to show true appreciation towards my husband? Why do so many people doubt his abilities as a spouse? Am I really that sarcastic all the time?

(Those are rhetorical questions.)

The reason for this unusual declaration of love was quite simple. For the past 6 days, I have had a severe case of the flu and Erik has stayed home for two days with me this week to take care of the kids. In all honesty, being commanded by a doctor to stay in bed and not do anything has been a bizarre fantasy of mine for a long time. Yet, when the doctor gave me my diagnosis on Monday, I started bawling uncontrollably. "I don't know what I'm going to do with my kids!!" I cried. "I can't lay in bed all day long and do nothing!" He told me to get it together, pull my mask over my face and send my husband and kids in to get checked for the flu.

My mask was white. I wish I could have found one like this.

When Erik and the kids went in, the doctor told him sternly, "You need to stay home and take care of your family." Erik responded, "She cried, didn't she?" According to Erik, the doctor didn't even crack a smile, but instead handed him a family medical leave form. Note to self: It's good to cry in front of doctors.

Laying in bed all day wasn't as great as I imagined. It was hard not to intervene while Erik was taking over my responsibilities. Sometimes he did funny things like make strange food combinations for dinner (steak quesadillas, zucchini, and french bread), but I learned to just shut my bedroom door and ignore. I watched a lot of television, a lot of movies, read a lot, and played scrabble on my iPod. Believe me when I say that I had never been this sick in my entire life and that includes getting Le Kalingadongo from eating bad pizza on my mission.

However, here is the great news. Erik went back to work today and I feel good. Not perfect yet, but I feel like I am getting there. I'm still trying to take it easy for another day, but it's hard not to do things around the house when I feel so fantastic. The best thing is that I won't have to wear that little mask anymore.

That is why I love my husband. He let me lie in my bedroom for days while he took care of everything on his own. I know I would not have gotten better this quickly without him (oh, and Tamiflu, you helped too). Although a public declaration of love from me may seem unusual, understand that when I make one it is completely merited.

9 comments:

  1. Props to Erik for stepping it up! I'm glad that you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you were sick! I truly thought Erik had hacked your FB. I have another friend whose husband posts crazy good stuff about himself on her FB all the time and it's hysterical!

    I'm glad Erik was able to stay home and help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you are sick but glad it was a chance for you to see firsthand how much you are loved. I hope you get better quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Seriously, for a husband to do that has got to be sooo helpful! You are probably right that you wouldn't have gotten better that quick without his help. It always takes forever to get better when you can't rest. I have a big fear this year that the kids and I are going to get the flu and I will have no help...that's when I pull up this post for my husband to read! Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you have been sick there - we are gearing up for week 2, with 2 kids down, 1 getting started, and one to go, plus the mom (me) jumping on the sickwagon today, just for good measure...rats!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's my big bro. Good job brother, and glad you're feeling so much better Cristin. Being sick (and feeling the need to always be in control even while sick) really does stink!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugggh, seriously, being sick when you're a mom is AWFUL!! I'm so glad you had help, although I'm sure it was hard stepping back and letting Eric do all the work HIS way ü Glad you're better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is funny (the face mask). I spent the last week of my travels in England sharing a room with my mom who sounded like she was hacking up her lungs. Wish I had this for her...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are feeling better! That piggy mask is hilarious! You would think that with Swine Flu being so prevalent, there would be more "piggy-gear" marketing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails