10.26.2009

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET?

Here's a secret: I am awful at keeping secrets. If you do not want anyone to know your secret, I am the last person you should be telling anything to. I just don't have a lot of self-control when it comes to secrets.

Yet, there is one big secret that I have (somewhat) managed keep this year and I am very proud of myself. Everyone knows now that Erik's Aunt Doris is getting married, but I have known since February that she was talking to/hanging out with/dating her now fiance, Clarke, and it has been killing me.
Erik and I with Doris at our wedding in 2001

This was such a huge secret because it was about a 62 year old woman who had never been married before and we all know that an unmarried woman over the age of 60 has a greater chance of being killed by a terrorist than getting married. Most people just assumed that Doris would never marry. Even Doris, herself, thought she would never marry. Ironic that this is the same woman who has sacrificed her time and talents for everyone else around her to have a dream wedding. I can think of at least 20 weddings where Doris has played a key role. Finally, it's her turn and I have a feeling that Doris' wedding is going to be huge.

No, that's not a hotel. It's in someone's living room.

Speaking of huge, this weekend was Doris' bridal shower where I, along with 83 of her closest friends and family, gathered together to celebrate her. Thank goodness it was held at a house that was literally 9 times the size of my house.

Since Doris and Clarke have everything they could ever want, the guests pooled their money and gave them "date nights." Everything from movie and theatre tickets to a weekend away. It was so much fun watching Doris open everything. (This box had some lingerie!!)



It's hard for me not to get emotional when I think of Doris getting married. It's less than a month away now!

Congratulations, Doris and Clarke!

16 comments:

  1. I got a bit misty just reading this! Yay for Doris!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 42 year old still single self loved this post...congrats to Doris & Clark!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for Doris, she is a wonderful person who deserves this great happiness! And props to you, Cristin for keeping the secret, I'm impressed ü Was the shower at the Trout's house?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your aunt. She is marrying a handsome man. It looks like he had the most amazing bridal shower ever. Lucky lady!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sooo tempted to farm my children out and buy an airline ticket for that weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY for Doris, but I can't give her any more congratulations than that because I am dead at the thought of that living room. Please, someday, can I live in a room like that? I don't need the whole house...just the one room will do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man Cristin you are looking skinny, you need to have another baby (oh wait I forgot youve been sick)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Cristin, you are terrible about keeping secrets. Notice how I was able to?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to them! What a cake, what a house, what memories! What a beautiful friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know her, just of her, and yet, this makes me sooo happy! I can tell she is a great person and is very loved! I hope you give us a ton of pictures and details about the wedding! I love the idea of giving date nights and get aways as gifts...how awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're so happy for Doris. And it was fun to spy my sister in the shower photo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for Doris; she is such an amazing woman. She made the chocolate mousse cups for our wedding! She is so selfless. I am so happy for her and Clarke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so wonderful! I don't know any of you IRL, but here I am, just tearing up! That is inspirational, for sure (and the bit about the terrorist - too funny! So you can make me belly-laugh and cry in the same post. You have talents, girl!)
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is such exciting news! I am sooo happy for Doris!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute--how great that she has found somebody special. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful story! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails