10.10.2009

BEING HAPPY

The other day I caught myself telling someone that "I finally feel in control of my life." It's true. I am happy with my weight, the kids are usually in bed by 8 p.m. and my house is only partially a disaster. Our lives are very full. I should be happy, but I'm not. I miss being on vacation so much, I can't stand it.

Here's a confession: In the nearly 4 weeks since we have been home, I have been gazelle intent about saving money. I check Travelzoo every day for any type of travel deal. I don't even care where I go. I just want to go somewhere amazing. I'll even take the kids. Alright, that was a lie. I don't want to take the kids, but if I had to, I would.

Maybe I'm so sad because I know that we probably won't go on another vacation like our last one for at least another 4 years. Getting time off from work, begging someone to take our children, being responsible with our money... the list of reasons is long.

This time last month... oh, Queenstown.

All I know is that it hurts, like a kind of post-partum trip depression. I ache inside when I think about what we were doing this time last month. Tonight Luke said, "I want a bedtime story about when Mommy and Daddy were in Tonga and I was at Gramma and Gramps." I almost started crying. There has got to be a way that I can be happy without having a trip to plan and look forward to. Right?

10 comments:

  1. Number 1 rule for happiness: low expectations.

    If the kids don't squirt shampoo all over the bathroom: Joy!

    If I remember to brush my teeth and put on make-up before I have to leave the house: Ecstasy.

    A mopped floor? Bliss.

    (I know this comes from a notorious type-A, obsessive-compulsive, big-thrill-out-of-getting stuff-done kind of person. I don't practice what I preach. Sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Trips are the only thing to look forward to. I suggest you do the cruise thing, and they even have all day day care/activities for your kids. That way you don't have to find someone to watch them, but you still get a break. The food is all taken care of and you can find cheap deals. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, I take "mini" trips every day, they are called shopping trips...target, mall, grocery store, my life is full of joy! (sarcasm, maybe........)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Gayle's post! Ain't it the truth!!!

    Your sentiments are one reason hubby & I have never taken an extended trip (other than the fact that I have to find someone to watch FIVE kids...). I'm afraid I'll come home & not be the semi-content woman I am now. I'll hate cooking & homework & carpool & laundry...

    *sigh* At least I have 4 kids in school daily! That's kind of a mini-vacation, right? 8^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh, I didn't realize you were so depressed. You should call me more often and Ill make you feel really good about your life! I have lots of poop stories from this week and being pregnant sucks. Oh but if it's a trip you need, I have a place in mind you could visit. . . it rhymes with You da HO! ( and you can even bring the kids!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess this is where never having been somewhere so fabulous becomes a bonus! We were supposed to go to Tahiti for our Honeymoon but we got married in tax season and the IRS got our honeymoon money.

    I can understand why you've got post-vacation depression.

    I also loved Gayle's comments. There are lots of little close-to-home trips you can do with the kids that will still be tons of fun. We just did a cheapo, quickie weekend with our kids to a National Park and they loved it. It was fun for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So this is what I have to look forward to.. come 2 weeks from now...I'll be calling you for advice and consolation, at least I'm giving you fair warning and you've given me fair warning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know- the only thing that's getting me through life right now is knowing that we'll be in CA in 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go on dates! Then you have small things to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats funny. I just barely read this. Just think... if you keep going on exotic vacations, then you have nothing to write about except your vacations and people don't like that. I think its jealousy. Anyway, atleast be happy your readers are commenting more now that you stopped writing about your vacation. Trips around the world are not "ordinary" but very unordinary for a housewife, people don't relate so cheer up and know that you can still get that blog award at the end of the year. PS--Good pic of you and Erik. That should be on your Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails