9.21.2009

MIDDLE EARTH

Continuing with the travelogue -

On our 8th day in Tonga we left Tongatapu and flew to New Zealand. Kaci and Salesi said goodbye to us in Auckland, and Erik and I took a connecting flight down to Christchurch on the South Island.

Our plan was to rent a car and make our way over to Queenstown, where six days later, we would fly home from. I don't know what I was thinking when I rented our car.


I'm lying. I know what I was thinking - SAVE MONEY. So, I rented the cheapest, smallest, powerless, manual car I could find. Poor Erik. Not only did he have to drive on the left side of the road, but he also had to shift with his left hand as well. It was so terrifying for me as a passenger, that I couldn't fathom driving. All I could think when we were on the road was, "Stay on the left. Left side, left side." So, he did all the driving. What a man.

Thrown into the fire.

I used to think that the secret to a successful marriage is a dishwasher, but that has now been overruled by the GPS. The best thing we did before this trip was to purchase the New Zealand maps for our GPS. It made everything less stressful because we didn't have to interpret maps or fight over directions. Not that we ever fight.

The view from our B&B

I loved Christchurch. I don't remember loving a city this much since Chambery, France. It reminded me a lot of England, but younger. The people were incredibly friendly and the city was full of parks.


The Classic Villa

We stayed at this bright pink Bed and Breakfast across the street from the Botanical Gardens. Coming from a week in Tonga, it felt like we had entered another universe.

Breakfast

Breakfast included exotic fruit we had never heard of, pastries, gourmet cheeses, meats, cereal, fancy pizza, and yogurt.

We did all the tourist stuff like take a gondola ride up for a view of Lyttelton Harbor and Christchurch.

Avon River

We went punting down the river that ran through the city and tried to figure out a way to move to Christchurch. You know, as if moving to Christchurch is a logical option for us right now.

Christchurch Cathedral

We visited this beautiful old cathedral and ended up staying for about 30 minutes to listen to a service that was completely sung.

We laughed at all the school uniforms. These particular ones reminded me of Harry Potter for some reason.

I pretended to make phone calls in all the phone booths. Real mature, I know, but I couldn't resist.

Christchurch Art Gallery

We visited this idiotic art gallery that had exhibits called "Logs" with a pile of logs and "Rocks" with a pile of rocks. It was free and I still felt jipped.

He acts tough, but he loved it.

In Christchurch, we attended a performance by the International Tour of Mamma Mia! Excuse the blurry cell phone picture, but I had to prove that Erik was there. There were about 50 women to every 1 man. The crazy women were almost as entertaining as the show.

Erik's Heaven

Since I am a good wife, we stopped at the New Zealand Air Force Museum on our way out of Christchurch for three hours so that Erik could do their restoration tour. Here he is standing with the "engines galore" promised in their advertisement.

Tomorrow, I will wrap up the travelogue with the trip to Queenstown and home. Then I will return to blogging about my normal, vacation-less, boring life, I promise.

8 comments:

  1. It IS risky to a marriage to ride in a car that your husband is driving while he's stressed. Or vice-versa. I think GPS came along just in the nick of time!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun trip and I love the shout out to Chambery. I know you were coming as I was going but it was such a great city, n'est pas? Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree about the GPS, Cristin. Definitely a lifesavor. Your trip looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The city looks beautiful...and I'm sure you and Erik never fight over something as silly as directions. That would be ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did a tour of New Zealand's south island back in '99. It was seriously the greatest trip I've ever been on. I loved it. i think everyone should go there at least once in their life and walk in Frodo's footsteps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cristin, I'm sorry. It doesn't seem that people are that interested about your trip. Maybe it will be better when you get back to your normal blogging. Three whole hours at that museum? What torture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bed and breakfast looks awesome. It looks like you guys had a blast. Well.. everything but the bloody pig and 3 hour engine museum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I could have driven a stick with my left hand..... ever.

    New Zealand looks very quaint (spelling help please). I like it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails