9.26.2009

HOW TO MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION


Luke started pre-school this week. I don't know who was more nervous about it, him or me.

My greatest concern was that he would have no friends. I have seen Luke shunned several times on the playground, at church, and at home. I've even watched kids play Hide and Go Seek with Luke and then laugh when they purposefully never go find him. I know there isn't much I can do about it, but it really does break my heart.

So, I was determined to make sure Luke was accepted by the other kids. I picked out a new shirt for him, quizzed him on how to make friends and actually brushed his hair.

His teacher insisted that I stay with him during his first day. The first hour was swell. He immediately made friends and seemed pretty confident about the whole pre-school situation.

For the 2nd hour, the students held hands and walked over to play at a nearby park. About 20 minutes into playtime, Luke informed me that he needed to use the bathroom. His teacher told me that the closest "toilet" was behind a tree about the length of a soccer field away from where we were standing. We took off running and when we were about 10 feet away from the tree, Luke began to cry. He had gone in his pants. Wait, it gets better. It was diarrhea. Nasty, gross, makes you want to vomit in your mouth, diarrhea.

As I was walking Luke the 2 blocks back to change into the only spare pair of shorts at the pre-school, all I could think about was his reputation. "Great," I thought, "Now he's going to be known as Poopy Lukey. It's all over." Oh, and it was all over his shoes too. Bad.

I am happy to report that 3 and 4 year olds are self-centered and oblivious. None of the other kids even noticed Poopy Lukey's little mishap. It will remain our little secret. Now if he could only learn how to use scissors....

8 comments:

  1. Haans says, "Whatever you do, don't give Luke scissors!" Poor Luke. Hope his second week goes better. Charlotte is only 6 months old and I am already nervous about when she starts school. Good thing I have 3 years to stress about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say, kids that age ARE oblivious! Good thing, right. Poor little guy. How dumb that they would put a bathroom so far away for kids! I hope preschool goes well for him. I'm sure he will make friends! Julien will sometimes come home with stories about "so and so" didn't want to be his friend, and so we think of funny things to say back that would help both kids feel better and sometimes we role play situations. Kids can be so mean, it breaks my heart too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Luke- I hope he wasn't too traumatized to go back! Hopefully this will be something you can both laugh at in a few years =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who's that little boy and what did you do with my Grandson Luke?
    I hardly recognize Luke in that picture. He looks like a 6 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA HA!!! Soo funny! I mean, I can't believe it... everytime I think "no way,. something just can't go wrong with Luke AGAIN" and it DOES GO WRONG!! funny! Just make sure he has plenty of extra clothes at "pre-school". Yeah, he does look "older" in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably going to hell for this but I laughed my can off through this whole post! Oh, the indignities of Motherhood! At least the incident happened out of view of the other kids. Hopefully 'Poopy Lukey' will just be your own pet name for him. This was so funny. I'm sorry but someday you'll be laughing as hard as the rest of us are reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cristin-- I love your blog and reading about all your family's fun and crazy adventures! (Your tales are not so ordinary...)

    This story made me so sad, until I realized that all the other little pre-schoolers were too busy and oblivious to notice what had even happened (though truly traumatic for Luke).

    But good news-- there IS something you can do to help him make/win more friends at this formative age, especially since pre-school will be his new little "community" for several months/years to come. If they have Show-and-Tell days, just make sure he always brings something cool and interesting. All the other little monkeys will look up to him and think he's neat. It also wouldn't hurt to have him bring a yummy treat to share from time to time. Kids LOVE treats and they remember who brings them! Just my two cents...

    I hope this week goes better!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails