9.20.2009

HOW BIZARRE, HOW BIZARRE

Erik summoning the blowholes!

Here is my final installment of Tonga pictures. As I have been going through these, the thought has crossed my mind that we could have gone somewhere just as beautiful and tropical for less money.

Pigs catching fish for us.

Although, I highly doubt we would have seen pigs fishing in the ocean in Hawaii!

How do they keep the pigs contained so well?

Or pigs in every other front yard! At first it was a little stressful for me to encounter so many pigs, until I realized that they were scared of me. It also helped to carry a long pointy stick.

What a smooth talker!

Also, I wanted to publicly thank Salesi for teaching us how to break the law. The Tongan police stand at the side of the road and point at cars if they are speeding. That's right. They point. (Can you imagine the CHP doing that?) We were driving by and caught them pointing at us. Salesi made a u-turn, the cops realized he was a foreigner, and we paid them some "lunch money" in return for their leniency. The cops were so friendly, we probably could have asked them to pose for this picture if we wanted.

Don't worry, he only had one cup.

I hope that the Mormons working at our resort will accept this public apology for our poor examples. Erik asked the (non-Mormon) owner of our resort if he could try some kava. The owner obliged by throwing a kava party after the banquet on Friday night. Too bad we found out after the fact that Mormons in Tonga don't drink kava. Good thing everyone at that resort knew we were Mormon!

The Real Kid City

Being in Tonga made me grateful for our parks in the USA. There was this place called "Kid City" in the middle of Tonga's capitol, Nuku'alofa. Kids pay a few bucks to play in this typical United States playground.

Erik playing hide and go seek.

On our last night in Tonga, we slept under a mosquito net at Salesi's parents' house. I really doubt this net did anything, except maybe give us more confidence that rats wouldn't eat the bottoms of our feet off.

Honoring the dead.

It was hard to miss all of the cemeteries on the side of the road. 99% of the graves aren't marked. Even though the people are buried in the ground, they still have a mound of dirt to represent the deceased person's body. A little creepy, don't you think?

Speaking of creepy, halfway through our stay at the resort, the security guard walked into our room in the middle of the night. I was so freaked out that I couldn't fall asleep for another two hours. When I mentioned it to the owners the next day, they said that the guard felt bad about it. No good explanation though for why he walked right into our room at 11:00 p.m.

Beautiful Tonga

So, with that lovely story, this will conclude the Tonga portion of our vacation. Stay turned for the next post when I will share with you the secret for a successful marriage... and New Zealand!

4 comments:

  1. Ha I'm the first one! I couldn't sleep. Hmm, so you two had to go all the way to NZ to learn how to have a good marriage? interesting. I thought the security guard walked in because he thought the room was vacaant and left unlocked.. cristin stop trying to make your blog better sounding than it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zach thought al those people were buried above ground. That makes me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonga looks beautiful but I'm not sure I could handle the pigs and rats and mosquitoes you refer to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! My Dad served his mission to Rarotonga, Cook Islands. We'd love to go there someday but $$$$.

    As for the pigs, that's a little bit of Tonga we experienced here 2 weekends ago when my spouse chased one out of our yard. We couldn't figure out where the heck it had come from but the kids were thrilled when a polynesian family carted it off. Good thing they didn't know the pigs' fate!

    What an amazing dream vacation for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails