9.23.2009

FOLLOWING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF FRODO

One Ring to Rule Them All

Before I finish posting about our trip, I would like to make one thing clear:

I hate Lord of the Rings. Erik loves Lord of the Rings. Somehow, we still manage to make our marriage work.

No, Erik, for the 100th time I will not take the LOTR tour with you.

Everywhere we went in New Zealand, Lord of the Rings tours of some kind were being promoted. Go dirt biking to famous spots! Fight an orc on location! Pay $5,000 per person to see all the sights! Substitute Lord of the Rings with The Sound of Music and maybe I would have been tempted. Besides, even Erik, didn't want to spend money on these tours, so it was all good.

Lake Wakitpu

I could post 500 pictures of beautiful New Zealand scenery, but I will spare you. You get the idea, though. It was incredible (and terrifying) to drive on the left side of twisty mountain roads overlooking cliffs and lakes.

Near Mt. Cook

The great thing about being on this kind of vacation, is that we were able to just pull over and stop on the side of the road whenever we felt like it.

Omahau Downs

One of the nights we spent at this Bed and Breakfast outside of Mount Cook. It looked like a mobile home on the outside, but the rooms were clean and modern. That was a pleasant surprise.

Onsen Hot Pools

We visited these mineral hot pools on a cliff overlooking a river. Each pool had it's own little "garage door" that opened up to the view so that you could choose between being outside or inside. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually found out about these pools when Jason took Melissa there on the Bachelor. Embarrassing, I know, but hey, they were pretty neat.


Picking out a gift for my sister, Kelley

Our last stop in New Zealand was Queenstown. It was full of a lot of people that are too cool for school, i.e., college students walking around in snowboarding outfits and huge sunglasses. We just can't compete with that. Erik wears safety glasses all the time and I don't know how to ski. We still had fun anyway.

I survived the plane flight, barely.

On our last day in New Zealand we flew out of Queenstown to Milford Sound on a small plane. It was beautiful, but very bumpy. Of course, Erik loved the flight.

View from the plane.

If you look closely, you can see the short little runway on the left. I couldn't believe we landed on it without flying into something.

Milford Sound

We took a cruise around Milford Sound and out to the Tasman Sea. Our pictures don't do it justice.

Then, we flew home!

I miss vacation.

10 comments:

  1. looks like a fabulous trip. embarrassingly enough i saw the picture of the hottub and thought. huh. i think i've seen those somewhere before....and then all the pieces fell together. you are not alone in your bachelor shame. :)

    welcome back! it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those pictures are amazing. it looks like an incredible place.

    unfortunately, my husband has the same obsession with LOTR. every time one of his friends comes over they watch it. every. time. i'm almost embarrassed to even admit this on the www. it's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your trip sounds amazing. My favorite part is you picking out a gift for Kelley outside the Louis Vutton store :) What a cool vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh...i think i hate you right now...stop posting picture of your fabulous vacation!!!! ah! I can not believe how much vacation envy I have right now...you're like pouring salt in an open wound.

    The scenery was absolutely incredible, please tell me that erik brought his camera??

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you had a blast! That's funny that you said that about the pool. I looked at it and thought...that looks familiar. I have to say that I hadn't watched it since Wymount and after last season, I remember why - lol!!

    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE all the vacation pics! Looks like you had an amazing trip! I am soooo jealous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the pictures I feel like I went too... well I feel more jealous that you got to go to such cool places...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails