8.09.2009

LUCKY I'M IN LOVE WITH MY BEST FRIEND

There is nothing that makes me laugh more than getting a wedding announcement that says, "This Day I Will Marry My Best Friend."

Gag.


No, wait, I mean, gag me with a roll of "Today I Marry My Best Friend" ribbon for only $22.98!

Any mention of "best friend" and "wedding" in the same sentence makes me go nuts. It's just so incredibly cheesy. It sounds like the type of things fifth grade girls write in their My Little Pony diaries in purple ink. Besides, I should hope that your spouse is your best friend. What is the point of stating the cheese ball obvious?

As I normally do when seeking validation, I called my sister, Kelley. Surprisingly, she disagreed. "Not everyone marries their best friend," she said. "Vak wasn't my best friend." She said that when she gets a "Best Friend" wedding announcement she thinks, "Wow, lucky them!" (I forgot that Kelley's opinion is disqualified since she cries during Kelly Clarkson music videos.)

Then I spoke with my sister, Kaci. She said that she didn't marry her best friend either! What?!

Finally, I called my mom. All I wanted was for someone to agree with me that best friend wedding announcements are lame. She agreed! "It's stupid," she said, "Why don't they just say something like 'Today I Marry My Best Sexual Partner'?" Uh, much better idea, Mom.


As for Erik and I, were we best friends when we got married? Maybe, but only by default . Our announcement should have read, "This day I marry my only friend because I alienated all my other friends by getting engaged."

It's been a fun 8 years, only friend.

22 comments:

  1. Hey! You didn't quote me right! I said, "but Vak is my best friend NOW"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read your blog more - too funny sometimes. From toddler vomit to only friend you just know how to hit home Cristin. Can I become a follower please?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on this! It's true that not everyone marries their best friend, but if you are then do you really do you need to advertise it on an announcement to friends and relatives that you barely know? Totally cheesy and cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still get wedding invitations? Lucky you. (and it's pretty lame, by the way...although looking back a lot of things in my own wedding were totally lame, so what are you going to do). Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it. hahah. happy anniversary! hope you have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay...this one gets a comment. So impressed with the conversation posts...I'm assuming your brother in laws don't read your blog :) AND I have to say that image is gorgeous....I can totally remember hauling Indy around...he was the exact same age as Ella is now! You go girl...and I agree...you and Erik were/are best friends. Go for another 8!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the last little bit was really funny. so is Kelly's comment. lolzorz! Yeah, we didn't/don't have any close friends and all the people we'd want to be friends with already spend all their spare time with their spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm one of those lucky ones, and I was also cheesy. LOL well not on our wedding invitations - those were gorgeous handmade pressed flowers, but the things you give out at the ceremony - they had "Today I marry my friend, the one with whom I share my hopes and dreams" - I know so cheesy! but it was 11 years ago! LOL

    p.s. everytime I read the title of your post in my blog list I can't help but sing a bit of that song with the same title. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have to say I agree with you. Mostly cause it IS too cheesy for my liking and WAY too cheesy for Spencer's! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading your blog I was listening to my ipod and none other than good old Time McGraw came on with "My Best Friend". Strange timing. "I don't know where I'd be, without you here with me. Life with you makes perfect sense. You're my best friend." Ah, so endearing. So, then I thought about when Josh and I got engaged. We were not best friends. Actually, we only dated for just over a month. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is classic. Truly. If you are in need of additional validation, I COMPLETELY agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I'm with you on the "had no other friends because we alienated all of them." Although, Michael is and was my best friend, I'm not much into that line on wedding announcements either.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "This day I marry my only friend because I alienated all my other friends by getting engaged."

    ...classic and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that last paragraph! So true. After living with many an engaged roommate, I've decided that I want to be engaged for all of 10 minutes. The drama is too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't mind the saying in invitations but I couldn't stand it when people in the young adult ward would bear their testimony the fast sunday before they got married and bear testimony that they are marrying their best friend. I couldn't stand that "good-bye" speech, I mean testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hilarious! Love this post!

    And happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  17. After being married to Jared for 9 years I now find all that stuff incredibly disgusting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was such a cheesy newlywed! I even have a really scary scrapbook layout about "our family is a quilt..." I can't even type it out because it's so embarrassing!

    My hubs is my best friend now. And since he's my only I guess he also gets the title of 'best sexual partner'. However, since he was married once before me (no kids), he had BETTER give me that same title if he ever wants to experience it again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha love it. we were best friends, and were good friends before we started dating. so i feel you on this one. i didnt go around advertising it on my announcement haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. you didn't quote me right EITHER wanna-be-the-best-blogger-so-you-put-down-false-info. Anyway I gag too when I read stuff like that. I can't believe what Mom said! OF course who know if she REALLY said it now?

    ReplyDelete
  21. one more comment... it's not your anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kaci, I know! I never said it was our anniversary! Maybe people just assume that if say anything nice about Erik it must be a holiday.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails