7.16.2009

WAKE UP CALL

I returned home from momcation for 36 hours and then hopped back on a plane with Charlie to pick up Luke in Phoenix. I'll be here for a couple of days enjoying the beautiful weather with my parents and then home for a few days before going on another vacation.

I thought that being reunited with my kids would be a difficult shock after the glory that was momcation, but it really wasn't. The [sad] reality is that once you have been initiated into motherhood, you can not go back to the naivete of your childless days. In other words, even when I am on vacation, I can never really be on "vacation."

Take for example - sleeping in. My kids have not only ruined my bikini body, but my internal clock is crushed too. Prior to having kids, I easily slept in till 11 a.m. on a Saturday morning. Now? No way!

When I first arrived at Kelley's house, she said in all seriousness, "Let me explain to you our schedule. We go to bed around midnight and wake up at 10:30 a.m. every morning...."

I started laughing. "Wait. 10:30 a.m.?!?!?!? Is this for real?"

Kelley was not laughing. "No, this is real."

No matter how hard I tried to sleep in, I couldn't do it, even with a 3 hour time difference. Every morning I found myself lying awake at 7:00 a.m., desperately trying to go back to sleep. As is everything else in life, this was all the kids' fault.

Nevertheless, I will try my best to get over my hard feelings towards the kids for ruining my inability to sleep in so that we can enjoy our limited time together here in Phoenix.

Charlie playing in the water.

Oh, how I love when Luke dresses himself!

5 comments:

  1. Luke is acting like you are paparazzi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it sad how even when you get a "break" from the kids, you're still in mommy mode? Whenever I'm away from Chandler I constantly find myself thinking "is he screaming? going down for his nap? making a mess of so-and-so's house?" Being a mom is definitely the toughest job there is! Glad you were able to go on momcation though, sounds like a ton of fun! Enjoy Phoenix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you arrived in phoenix just in time for the heat advisory :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10:30am as a wake up time????!!! What kind of amazing world is ThAt??

    My world: this morning my kids were up at 4am (child #4) and 5:30am (children #1-3). Luckily, I was able to squeak by waking up at 7:30am as my oldest child made toast and actually got some butter & cinnamon on the bread, too.

    I need to take notes from these late morning mamas...Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right! When the hubs and I do a date night, we try to make the rule that we can't talk about anything that we wouldn't have talked about pre-kids. The weird thing is that in our pre-kid lives we had PLENTY to talk about but now? It's hard!

    Glad you had a good Momcation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails