7.26.2009

PARANOIA, PARANOIA

Yay! We found him!

I thought I had experienced some scary moments in my life until I lost Luke at the beach yesterday. He was only gone for 15 minutes, but in that short amount of time I literally freaked out. I started crying, screaming for help, shaking... I kept imagining his little body floating in the water among all the other people playing in the waves. I even ran to the lifeguard station and asked them if his body would wash up if he had been caught in a wave. (Their answer, "Maybe.")

When Erik finally found him, he was just walking along the beach looking for us. Now, the day after, it seems kind of silly that I got so worked up over 15 little minutes, but a lot can happen in 15 minutes at a crowded beach to a wandering 3 year old. Even worse, my mind had 15 minutes to think up every possible worst case scenario.

For Only $169.95, you too can be an overbearing and paranoid parent!

Today I'm debating whether or not to buy a child locator. I can't believe I am turning into one of those mothers. They're expensive, but, as they say, "your child's safety is priceless." (Next thing you know I'm going to be buying bullet proof backpacks and tissue box nanny cameras too.) The hesitation I have about buying this child locator, besides spending $200, is that I got lost a lot as a kid and survived. Everyone I know did. Isn't this a normal part of childhood? Or couldn't I just tie a long rope around him too?

I am also concerned about trying to calm down enough about losing Luke so that I can enjoy going to public places with my kids again. Later yesterday afternoon, I returned to the beach to find my sister-in-law laying out, with her face down on a towel, eyes closed, while her 3 year old played around her. I wish I had that kind of confidence in my kids!

11 comments:

  1. 15 minutes is FOREVER in missing kid time. especially on the beach. i wouldn't call that paranoid. ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I still have a vivid image in my mind of when Gavin fell down in the water at the beach and looked like he was drowning. I was only about 10 feet away, but it was terrifying! I don't think I've ever run so fast in my life. Since then, I watch my kids like a hawk when we're at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lost Dominic at Wymount one time for 15 minutes. He was down at the lower wymount playground. It was a horrifying 15 minutes and I wasn't AT THE BEACH. I cannot imagine.

    Squeeze him extra tight

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone else 15 min is eternity when you can't find you child and especially when you are right by the water!!! I lost Indy in Walmart once and I freaked out... Begging all the customers and employees to help me find her and I was on the verge of tears... I think the whole thing lasted 5 min... maybe... But I have always been paranoid ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, 15 minutes is FOREVER!!! Once I couldn't get a hold of my daughter on her cell phone, I think she was 11 years old and had one of those pay as you go phones we had for the kids for when they went to a friends house. Anyway, the phone was going straight to the voice mail and she was maybe 10 minutes late. The girl she was with had a babysitter and she didn't know where they were. I called the police and they were coming to take a missing persons report when she came walking up. It was the most terrifying moment of my life. 15 minutes at a beach? Oh my goodness. THAT.... is a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost Hayden at the church Halloween party while we were at Wymount. I was running around frantically asking people if they had seen him and no one bothered to help us look for him. Everyone acted like we were over-reacting. It's a very scary situation.

    I don't think you're overly paranoid. There is no way I'd be laying out with my face down while my son played beside me. But then again I am the mom with a child harness so don't ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally buy that!! 15 minutes is forever!!! My sister was watching my kids and couldn't find my daughter. She didn't see her come in and thought she was outside. She was really upstairs hiding under a bed! I called during all this to check on the kids and she told me they couldn't find her. It was the scariest 3 minutes of my life. I was sure she was gone! I can't imagine 15 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Losing my child is one of my greatest fears- that is terrible! I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm so glad you found Luke and he's okay, I can't even imagine what all must have been running through your mind when he was gone. If it makes you feel better, I can't ever remember getting lost as a kid and don't feel like I missed out... if Luke has a tendency to wander, I say buy the child locator, at least for your peace of mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. 15 minutes is a long time when you loose your kid!! We lost Jonah for only five and it felt like eternity! I would spend 200 bucks escpecially on Luke. That kid has no fear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think there's any price a parent wouldn't be willing to pay to avoid that "lost child scenario"...so scary. I lost sight of my son at a local park once and almost lost my marbles. completely. And it was for less than 5 minutes. I can't imagine what 15 minutes would do to me, I'd probably have to be carried off to a loony bin and spoon fed chocolate to survive that one. Thank goodness for small blessings.

    So glad you found your son. Weird what the lifeguards said, "Maybe"??? Sheesh. I'm going to velcro myself to my kids sides next time we're out in public, including the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would have been the scariest moment! I really don't like big bodies of water, the thought of anyone drowning is horrific to me. I'm so glad he was okay!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails