7.06.2009

THE HIGH LIFE

Someone recently told me that she admired how I never said that one kid was easy. She said that most mothers with more than one child will make comments about how easy it is to have one kid. I thought that was a funny thing for her to say because I absolutely think all the time that one kid sure is easier than two.

I know that I'm right about this. People who tell you otherwise are either lying or have forgotten what it is like to raise children. Or maybe it's just my kids that don't get along.

My wonderful parents took Luke home with them to Arizona until next Wednesday and I feel like I am on vacation. I have all these projects I want to complete during the next few days before I go to Baltimore. It sure is easy to get things done without kids fighting and tormenting each other all day long.

Charlie seems really happy without Luke. I let him drink out of Luke's precious Superman cup.


Then, I let Charlie play with Luke's trains. He was in heaven. Luke would kick Charlie in the head if he saw this picture.

Don't get me wrong. We miss Luke. Please believe me. It's just sooooooo nice not to have as much fighting and screaming in the house between the two boys. If anything, this is inspiring me to really try to help them to play nicely together.

10 comments:

  1. When you only have one kid it's hard. Then, once you have two kids you remember fondly how "easy" it was to have one kid. When you have no kids you know everything there is about parenting and wonder why all your friends with kids are doing it all wrong. It's all about perspective. If you didn't have Luke you wouldn't appreciate how "easy" it is to just have Charlie right now. Enjoy it. I'm envious. I have all 3 of mine all day long in the summer - I'm dying over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Charlie is going to be spoiled playing with Luke's stuff and when Luke returns and Charlie can't play with it, he is going to be so hurt. Good luck going backwards. Afterall I only have one child and know what to do with two little ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are scaring me....remember I've got #2 coming..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give it up...they'll never play nicely together...only jump in if there's blood. And don't try to tell yourself its because they're close in age...we have constant screaming from the 3yr old who is tormented minute by minute by the 8 year old. P.S. LOVE the room...looks exactly my boys room..bare. less mess...less things to break and destroy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I SO know what you are talking about - the fighting - please, how do you make it stop? My kids all fought with each other, boys and girls, no matter the age span between them. They only quit when they grew up and left home. Now they really love each other, once they are "gone". I know some families who's kids don't fight, but they are the exception! Maybe they will grow up, leave home, and ignore each other. I think that would be worse!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I TOTALLY agree! I remember when I just had Kaitlyn, I would dread going to the store with her. Now, when Kaitlyn is at school or Nate is home, I'm more than happy to take just one kid with me! (of course this is just one example... it's just so much easier when you're not dealing with fighting or more than one kid demanding your attention.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just thinking these exact words today. Dominic has been gone for a week and its been wierd but nice. Not because Dominic is a pill but because I only have 1 to care for. No fighting, no juggling trying to entertain, no "I'M BORED MOM." I have been able to read 2 books since last Tuesday....who does that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. One kid is easier, but not easy. especially with an almost 2 year old. Why, again, are we considering having another one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never had "just one" since we had twins to start, but SHEESH! When we had #3 (who, btw, was an ANGEL baby), for the first 6 weeks, I kept asking myself, "And we have kids WHY???"

    It does get better. Umm, I guess different is better. Sometimes. At least, that is my prayer, since all 5 are driving me INSANE so far this summer. Love 'em!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking about this a lot lately... It's funny your post always seem to do that... I have a friend who had her first baby the same time I had Milo. And I find myself feeling incredibly jealous of her! I just have really good memories of when Indy was a baby and I sat on the couch and nursed her all day and watched daytime TV, and when I wanted to go somewhere I only had to find one pair of shoes, and when we went out to eat I could actually enjoy it and we didn't spend a fortune... I do love being a mom to four kids but it was really nice having JUST one kid...
    AND I was really dissapointed in my time last Saturday. The last half mile went up 9th East from Center al the way to Kiwanas Park. When you are driving you hardly notice the uphill but when you are running the last leg of a race it's murder! My time was 26:50... Sounds like you are turning into a runner!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails