5.07.2009

TURKEY IN THE STRAW

Caitlin sent me this paparazzi style photo of Kelley buying stuff from the ice cream truck today. I don't know how it is where they live, but here, the ice cream trucks are super creepy. I knew I was really an adult when I didn't feel the urge to buy anything from either of them.

Our small town has two ice cream trucks that operate year round. This one is the creepier of the two -

I call this one creepy because I once saw an entire family hiding inside the back of the truck. No joke.

It usually makes the rounds around our neighborhood at 1 p.m. when all the kids are in school, rain or shine, blasting "Turkey in the Straw, ha ha ha." I have never seen this truck make a sale. One time I saw a little girl chase after the truck with a dollar in her hand when it was snowing and the truck just kept going. It was very sad. Sad for the girl because she didn't get her ice cream, sad for the ice cream truck because they never make a sale, and sad for me that I had nothing better to do than to stalk the ice cream truck.

It's hard living in a small town. Not much to do... as you can tell.

12 comments:

  1. wow. how odd that we have the same ice cream truck in our neighborhood.

    actually, i was under the cynical impression that ice cream trucks nowadays were all drug dealers, but the driver in our neighborhood is a very nice, very normal young woman and she knows my kids by name so i had to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahaha- the family in the back makes me laugh so hard!

    Gosh, I didn't think it was THAT WEIRD that I bought ice cream from the ice cream man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best part is how excited kelley got when she heard the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is freakishly scary - about the family hiding inside. And the weird hours of operation. And after watching 2 seasons of Chuck, it has MY imagination running wild!!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Springville there is a creepy truck like that. I was surprised that Disney didn't come and confiscate it, though, because one of the songs used to entice children was the "Mickey Mouse Club" song. Whenever I heard it coming, I tried very hard to turn the TV up loudly and ignore that it was there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that truck always scared me too. My favorite part about this particular truck is the misspelling of Precaution. The word is really superfilous, it could just say Warning: Children Crossing. Don't know why the precaution is there in the first place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best one is the ice cream truck song that sounds like one of our hymns. I don't remember which one it is, but everytime I hear it, I think of an ice cream truck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super good post.

    There is already way too much weirdness in the world, and to add ice cream trucks to the mix is just too much for me some days.

    There's this nasty old ice cream truck (are there any other kinds?!?) that frequents a lovely old park that my kids & I visit. We ignore it and, like a bad rash, hope it just goes away and doesn't come back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Kelley that is weird especially considering the only icecream they see are those weird cartoon head popsicles with gum eye balls.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ew Ew Ew! I totally forgot about freaky ice cream truck guy. I couldn't believe it when he was out in the snow. Seriously? Oh Tehachapi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a kidnapper van. When you come to NYC, don't be afraid to buy from the Good Humor truck. But I'd say Mr. Softee looks a little sketchier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never lived anywhere where the ice cream truck comes through. I thought I was missing out when I was a kid, but maybe not... it cracks me up that Kelley bought something from the ice cream man, and even funnier that Caitlin got a picture of it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails