4.21.2009

UNANSWERED PRAYERS

Erik, his then Girlfriend, and Me with a Bad Dye Job in 1997

Erik and I have a very "unique" relationship in that we were friends for a long time before we got married. In other words, we know most of each other's ex-girlfriends/boyfriends very well. I know some of you might find this odd, but since we are now all mature happily married adults, we still keep in touch with many of these ex's. It has never felt weird or strange, that's just the way it is. (Speaking of which, happy birthday Ben! Count your blessings you guys didn't come this weekend because we had Pink Eye!)


Country music was inescapable growing up in Arizona. If I were to admit that I liked country music (and I'm not going to), I would say that one of my favorite country songs is Unanswered Prayers by Garth Brooks. I'm sure you've heard this one. Garth goes to a football game and sees his old girlfriend. They have nothing in common. He looks at his lovely wife and says, "I'm so happy to be married to you. God knows what he's doing after all." Nice, huh? Just in case you haven't heard it, here's Garth himself -



When I was single and always heartbroken, my one consolation was turning to my roommates and with a knowing look saying, "Unanswered Prayers." That was the code for "One day you'll be glad he dumped you."

We have all had experiences like this. Whenever my Dad tells the story of running into a former girlfriend from high school it always ends with, "... and she was as big as a house!" I give thanks every day that I'm not married to a D-List celebrity or an Old Man. In all fairness, I am sure that most of my ex's are grateful not to be married to a pop culture obsessed woman with an obnoxious blog.

The internet is a crazy thing in that you can have lots of "Unanswered Prayers" moments. Last night I caught Erik sitting at the computer singing, "La la la, unanswered prayers, la la la," while he scrolled through blogs and Facebook profiles.

While it was funny and all, I did say, in defense of our fantastic ex's, "I bet our old boyfriends/girlfriends look at our Facebook profiles and sing Unanswered Prayers too."

Erik responded very seriously, "No, not really."

That's why I love my husband. We both agree that it is better to have high self-esteem than none at all.

10 comments:

  1. and she was as big as a house...

    I will have that song in my head all day now

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is it that all of dad's jokes end with that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll admit I am familiar with this song, and have hummed its tune while scrolling through facebook profiles and then thinking about my wife. My favorite "unanswered prayer" moment came when Amy and I were ordering our wedding announcements and an ex-girlfriend of mine was there with her fiancce picking out invites as well. It was a little awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that song (I'm not a big country fan), but I sing the praises that I married my husband and not the 101 other guys I fell for in my teen & college years. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is that ex girlfriend in the pic? she looks very familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - you are awesome Cristin! I love the picture of Erik and you (you knew all along you were gonna get him - lol).

    Unanswered prayers - I used to love that song - wait, I still do :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancee - Did Troy date my friend Luci too? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE that song! That was Cody and my relationship before we got married also, and everytime we run into an ex we play the "what if" game, we're usually making fun of the ex but it gives us a good laugh... and your blog posts wouldn't be nearly as funny if you didn't have such high self esteem, keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know. Maybe that is where I recognize her from. I'll have to check with him. Seriously though, where is she from. Maybe I was in the dorms with her. It is driving me crazy. I wish my life had an imdb website to figure these things out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The funniest part about this post is that I can totally visualize you looking at your roomates and mouthing those words as well as Erik's answer about his ex's. You guys are great! I love that this makes me laugh really hard, especially since I became familiar with this song after one of my boyfriend's broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails