4.09.2009

TAKE TWO

When I told my mother I was pregnant with Charlie, she said the polite things you are supposed to say when your daughter tells you she is expecting -
"Oh, that's nice."
"I'm happy for you."
"Really, that's nice."
Although, after Charlie was born she made it clear what she was really thinking -
"Your kids are too close together in age. The perfect time to introduce a new baby is when your older one is 2 years and 9 months. Something magical happens when your child is 2 years and 9 months old."
[Coincidentally, my younger sister and I are 2 years and 9 months apart.]

Luke on the Train at the Santa Barbara Zoo, March 2009

I wish I could say that my mother was wrong, but *sigh* she's right. Luke turned 2 years and 9 months old a few weeks ago and suddenly he really is easier than Charlie. It's incredible. I took him visiting teaching with me yesterday and he played quietly the entire time. He even cleaned up the toys at the different homes we visited. At Alchoholly's last Friday, he was such a pleasure that my grandmother wrote me a letter to tell me how wonderful Luke was turning out. My Luke? The crazy, locked me out of the house and was eating cake with a butcher knife kid?

Last month, I finally returned to Storytime since our embarrassing experience two years ago. It's a whole new world. Luke sat quietly today and listened to the story. He interacted with the storyteller and even sang the songs with her. It's unbelievable, really.

Charlie Dressed Up as Our Cousin Vinny, March 2009

Now, on the flip side, Charlie is out of control. I spent Storytime letting Charlie push the stroller up and down the aisles of the library. If I would stop, he would scream. He's not fully walking yet, but he makes up for that by climbing everything. He loves to throw his food off of his tray and yell, "Uh-oh!" He puts his hands in the toilet any chance he gets. He messes things up and Luke cleans up after him. All I can think is, "What the heck? When did Charlie turn into Luke?"

So... this has led me to decide that Luke really wasn't that bad and Charlie really wasn't that great. It's an age thing. At least for MY kids it is. My mother tells me that 4 year olds are very "agreeable." Assuming that she is right about everything now, I can't wait!

11 comments:

  1. Yay! Only 8 more months until Zeke is at that magical age, I'm excited! The one time I took him to the Library Story time was a disaster for me too, he was about 18 months. We ended up leaving a few minutes in to the story, and I haven't wanted to go back quite yet. Maybe in 8 months :)

    That is an adorable picture of Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My little guys all turned human pretty much as soon as they turned 3...that is, until Tanner...his 3rd birthday came and went, and he was still throwing fits, tearing up the house, one disaster after another...now he's 5 1/2, and I can't tell you when it happened, it happened so gradually, but finally he grew out of all of it! Hurrahh! and Hurrahh for Luke!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true! My kids got way easier at about 2 and a half, 2 and 9 months (ish). That's why whenever people tell me that they're thinking about spacing their kids less than two years apart I always try to talk them out of it. I remember all too well how hard it was with my first two only 20 months apart and I don't think I would ever intentionally do that again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm....like so many of your posts I don't recall it exactly like you do, but I'm sure I've said that THREE year olds for the most part are agreeable. When you start complaining about 4 year old Luke, I will probably say something like, "if you think 4 is bad, wait until 13!" And Ditte's right, I never had boys, though someone much wiser than I once pointed out that "I had Chuck!" ('nuff said.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That picture of Charlie cracks me up!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still like Charlie best. He makes a great mafia man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's funny. If I had waited to space my boys to be two years and nine months apart then Cooper might not have ever joined us. I was a few months pregnant with Cooper when Peter entered his, um, challenging age. I hope that four is magical because three is not altogether "agreeable" at our house.

    I'm really glad that Luke doesn't eat cake with the butcher knife anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My kids are 18 months apart and boy is it tough!! I am definitely waiting a bit before #3. By the way- you are one lucky chickie. Go check out my blog- 3 times you have been selected by random.org as the winner. You are going to love the Elmo DVD it's too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I just found your blog through MMB. Your blog is great. I loved this post because it reminded me of my mom the last three times I told her I was (am) pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was reading a parenting magazine that talked about the different stages of childhood, and it seemed like every 6 months the behavior would change from good to bad. 1 and 1/2 good. 2 bad. 2 and 1/2 good.... 4 and 1/2 bad. You get what I'm saying. And I guess it has sort of worked that way with us. IT seems like once we get one stage down and we know how to deal with a certain child/behavior, they change! It's almost impossible trying to keep up all the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails