4.28.2009

RUNNING AS FAST AS I CAN

A picture of me on Day 1. Yeah, right.

I have decided to run a 5k on Memorial Day.

*Gasp* A 5k?!? It's so far!!

Well, for me, it IS far. I am like a Biggest Loser contestant trapped in a 120 lb white girl's body. I do not exercise. I blame my weight problems on my parents. Seriously, Ron could probably beat me in any sort of physical challenge. (It's that bad.) I eat a big bowl of ice cream every single night. My mother refers to it as "skinny fat."

I would have started training sooner, but last week I was deathly ill. All the women that came over to my house for playgroup today will be happy to know that it was not the Swine Flu like I previously thought. (Have you checked out this list of Swine Flu symptoms? It is way too vague. Lethargic? I'm ALWAYS lethargic.)

This is the plan: I start out slowly to avoid any injuries, but not so slowly as to not be running at all. Tonight I ran a mile around our city high school's dirt track. The cold wind was pounding against my face and I kept anticipating some sort of wild animal attack. Every time I heard a suspicious sound, I would turn down my iPod and listen very intently for a coyote or angry dog. I do not like running out here in the middle of nowhere, but the next four weeks don't merit buying an expensive treadmill.

Lots of people say they are going to run a marathon. This 5k will be my marathon. When it is over, I will go back to being lazy.

12 comments:

  1. Nice... :'|

    My word verification is "couth", as in to Couth for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. We're running a 5k on Memorial Day too and I was SO proud that I ran a whole mile yesterday. I think it's going to be a long 4 weeks... Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have my 6 weeks check up tomorrow, so I will hopefully start running this weekend as well to prepare for the 5K, so we are the in the same boat as far as preparation. You'll do it and you will be so proud of your accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last time I was trapped in a 120 pound body was 1988. Oh...those were the days! :-) Good luck Cristin! I'll be in the 5K too...but at this point...I may be one of the walkers. Oh well...I'm a great walker, great hiker...just not a great jogger. But I don't care...I'm going to be there anyhow! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You running a 5k? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAA. sorry. But you know why I am laughing. I really hope you do it! I think it will be awesome and will give you the confidence to do more. I liked the Ron reference... I didn't know you watched The Biggest Loser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your so funny! If you are running around a High School's track, I'm pretty sure the wild animals will be far far away! And a dirt track is good to train on. Softer than cement or asphalt. I run up and down our REALLYREALLY long dirt/gravel driveway. I feel safer doing that than running on the street (No bike or walking paths nearby... I really do live in the sticks)
    I think that you will get addicted to running. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! I have absolutely no desire to ever run a marathon. . .but I would like to do a half. I'm completely out of shape right now, but my goal is to be ready for the Baltimore Half in October.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the Lake Tahoe 10k in 2007 and never really recovered...big boobs and running don't mix - tell your friends!

    Good Luck in your race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't you run a 4 mile race with Dad when you were about 9 years old? I used to run the one mile Fun Runs when Dad was into running races in Oregon, but when I learned how detrimental running was on a woman's body, that was all the excuse I needed to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come on Kathy, running is not detrimental to a womans body....thats just an excuse...:oP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck! I would do a 5K walk but not marathon. I like your term "skinny fat."

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey all marathoners start with a 5k... that's how i started! that's great Cristin! I wish you the best of luck, if you need any help with training plans drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails