4.14.2009

NOT SO DECEPTIVELY DELICIOUS

Once upon a time, I was worried sick that my child was going to die of malnourishment. I spent hours trying to find creative ways to sneak vegetables into his applesauce/brownies/cheerios. No joke. I remember taking a carrot and covering it in Cheerios on more than one occasion. Of course, Luke just spit out the carrot and ate the Cheerios. Can't fool my kid.


Jerry Seinfeld's wife even published a book called Deceptively Delicious which tells you to do funny things like cram vegetable puree into chocolate chip cookies. This method really appealed to me, until I came up with the revolutionary idea to just give my kid the actual vegetables. I mean, if your child is only eating vegetable puree hidden in brownies, will he ever eat a real carrot if it isn't disguised as something sweeter? I really feel like people make things more complicated than they have to be sometimes.

I am happy to report that after months of offering Luke vegetables, he eats them now without any reservations. I may not be successful at many things, but at least my kid loves salad without ranch dressing. It's amazing what he will eat. In fact, the other day we didn't have any other food in the house, so for lunch I sauteed some leftover frozen shrimp. He ate almost this entire plate! Fancy picnic, huh?

9 comments:

  1. Awesome! So there's hope for Madi then huh! I'll just keep on trying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's great! All Jonah eats is Yogurt, bananas, and oranges. At least he likes fruit right? I can't believe Luke ate shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you DO feed your kids something other than candy. After your last post I had to wonder...hehehe. Yep, you got it right. The only way for kids to eat veggies is to offer them over and over and over again. And I helps if the dad will eat them, too. I wonder if my hubby will ever get that!
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like using this cookbook for me, I don't mind eating veggies but if there's a way yummy treats more healthy, even better! I do agree though, kids have to learn to eat veggies sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. luke is my kinda kid. did he eat the tails too?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s. this may be funny now, but when Luke starts demanding shrimp for every meal... I guarantee you won't be laughing then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So while I'm eating budget lunch of two taco bell burritos Luke is eating my shirmp cooked in butter with Cajun seasoning!?! Who brings home the bacon in the family...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shrimp - it looks so yummy! Hey, I also picked up some Ikea plates like the ones in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I was all over the Deceptively delicious & that other trendy health-food-in-disguise cook book, until I tried the pureed broccoli chicken nuggets. My kids were like "what the heck is this junk?" My husband and I were the only ones who liked 'em, then we just got out plain & simple carrot sticks & the kids went to town!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails