3.10.2009

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOW

Children are excellent scapegoats.

If you want to leave a party early, not do your church calling, get off the phone, not shower, avoid your friends, or be a slob, blame the kids!

The kids are great excuses for other things too. For example, the economy is bad because my kids made me buy all this stuff I can't afford! Obama is president because only kids voted for him! See, it can work for everything!

A 5 Minute Toy Explosion! Blame the kids!

However, it has occurred to me this week, that I need to have some control. So, ladies, look in the mirror and repeat my new mantra -

I will control the chaos in my house.
I will control the chaos in my house.
I will control the chaos in my house.

[As I type this, Charlie is taking the books one by one off the shelf and throwing them down the stairs. Irony is so sweet.]

For example, if I don't want toys everywhere, I need to limit the toys! Duh! So, I went through and just started throwing things away. Why we were holding on to broken dollar store toys is beyond me. If I want Charlie to stop breaking our "unbreakable" Corelle plates, I need to either move the plates or put a baby lock on the cabinet. This is not rocket science.

Don't worry, this in no way means that I am going to stop using my kids as an excuse for all things. Bite marks on my nipples, lack of sleep, inability to have normal adult conversations... definitely the kids fault.

9 comments:

  1. One other suggestion for the toys, esp. the nice ones, is to have a tote in the garage that you fill with some of the toys, and every 6 months, rotate them out with other ones. It's like Christmas all over...wait that's more chaos, isn't it? :-) I would like you to repeat in the mirror -
    I'm a WONDERFUL mother
    I'm a WONDERFUL mother
    I'm a WONDERFUL mother

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. With that many toys, the kids have too many choices, everything is meaningless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have all our toys separated by category. Superheroes in one box, animals in another, legos in another, etc. I keep two boxes out at a time in their bookcase and the rest go on top of the closet. Then, we rotate. It really is like Christmas all over again.

    This doesn't mean my house is always clean but it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally blame everything on Ryan! I rotate his toys too. Because he lid on the toy box is too heavy for him I dont have to store toys where it is harder to switch them out, I rotate them every few days to a week. He seems like he plays with them more than when I just leave all of them out. It is also easier to keep track of smaller pieces...good luck controlling the chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, I thought we were supposed to blame everything on George Bush and global warming. Thanks for the suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's exactly why I just put a gate to the kitchen. Now if only Jonah would stop throwing every toy OVER the gate into the kitchen, I could actually keep it clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just read instructions to a "flashcard animal game" I didn't know flash cards were a game, but it said to take the cards away from the kids when they are having fun, before they get bored, so that way they will want to play with them again. anyway yeah i love keeping the toys up high that way they can't reach them with out ASKING you and they learn they should only play (or get out) with just ONE thing at a time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, if I didn't know better I would have thought you staged this picture (although knowing about your kids, I'm sure you didn't!) Having kids as a permanent scapegoat is one of the perks you get for staying up all night and always smelling like spit-up, take it for all its worth! Oh and I like the reference to the They Might Be Giants song in your title :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at my living room today and thought it blog worthy....glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails