3.09.2009

I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE, BUT...


I took another trip down to Huntington Beach on Saturday to visit Alcoholly. My new goal during these monthly bookkeeping visits is to avoid screaming while I am in her presence.

This most recent trip can best be summed up by these three phrases -

"I'm not trying to offend you, but - "
"Please don't take this the wrong way - "
"I don't mean to be rude, but - "

While the above phrases are my three least favorite, apparently they are Alcoholly's favorite things to say, followed by strange comments like -

"If you don't do more things for yourself, you will resent your husband and leave him in 10 years."

"Erik is getting flying lessons, what are you getting... this awful car?"

"Your church teaches you to be submissive to your husband."

" You need to take better care of yourself, darling."

"You focus too much on your family."

"Are you allergic to make-up?"

The best was when she hugged me goodbye and said -

"Don't worry, darling, I still think you're beautiful."

I smile and pretend to accept her hurtful comments like I was hoping she would say them. Honestly, I'm starting to get really tired of having to act like I love being criticized.

Part of me feels like I am selling my soul by working for my grandmother. The other part doesn't care because I am going to use the money I earn from doing her bookkeeping to go on this really fantastic helicopter ride in New Zealand!

9 comments:

  1. I have family members that say the weirdest, sometimes extremely hurtful things, to me too. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and that is why I don't visit her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh...those are rough comments to hear repeatedly, so sorry about that! But I must say, I adore New Zealand...it is just a beautiful country. So if that is what you are saving your money for it will hopefully be worth it! (ps. Have you looked at the exchange rate? It is definitely a good time to go to New Zealand! I just got back from Australia and loved it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you WORK for the woman! I wish my granny would pay me for something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Cristin, I still think your beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are beautiful, too, Cristin, but even more than that, I think you are one talented, smart, wonderful person...I'm so glad you are Erik's wife and Luke and Charlies' mommy!
    Yeah for trips to look forward to! September is coming fast...keep saving...working for her will be all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awful! You should start using her phrases, like "I don't mean to be rude, but [insert brutal comment here]", see how she likes it! At least you found a way to earn some extra money, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just keep chanting, "New Zealand, New Zealand, New Zealand." Hey, at least you have something to blog about. She sounds like she could be a character in a sitcom or something, the real rude, obnoxious one that dresses AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're sure getting a lot of mileage out of that photo.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails