2.25.2009

OH, WHAT A NIGHT!


Luke didn't sleep all night long until he was 1 year old, so with Charlie I've never had great expectations. Now that Charlie is 10 months old, he only wakes up around midnight and 4:30 a.m. and then goes right back to sleep immediately after I nurse him. I do it so quickly now and it's such a routine, that I actually kind of feel like I slept all night long, even though I woke up to feed him.

Everything was great until Sunday night happened. Oh man. Here's how it went down -

10:30 p.m. - We get home from Camarillo. Put kids right in bed.
12:00 a.m. - I go to bed.
12:30 a.m. - Charlie wakes up. I nurse him back to sleep.
1:00 a.m. - He's inconsolable. Obviously teething.
1:45 a.m. - Charlie is still screaming. I give him Baby Tylenol.
2:30 a.m. - Still screaming. I give him Teething Tablets. No response.
3:00 a.m. - Screaming, won't nurse or a cold washcloth.
4:00 a.m. - Screaming. How much Baby Tylenol is too much?
5:00 a.m. - Finally nurses and goes to sleep. Victory at sunrise!
6:30 a.m. - Charlie wakes up, ready for the day!

There I was on Monday, maybe with 2 hours of sleep, and I thought this must be what it is like to be in the Hands on a Hardbody contest. (Oh, did I mention Luke doesn't take naps anymore?) At first I felt okay, but by 10 a.m. I wanted to collapse, at 2 p.m. I started getting a really bad headache, and by 8 p.m. my speech was slurred and I started hallucinating. No joke. Things were floating around me. I went to the store that evening and drove in the center of the road almost the whole way there. (Good thing our town is really small or I would have definitely had an accident.)

So, my question for you, Gentle Reader, is this:

How do mothers of small children work outside the home full-time?!

What do you do when you don't sleep all night? Do you curl up beneath your desk? Sleep in your car during your lunch break? If I had to go to work, interact with people, and pretend to be normal, after having almost no sleep, I would die. Hats off to you who must do it. You are amazing women.

12 comments:

  1. When I have a bad night, not always due to Lizette, I wonder the same thing. I sometimes don't know how working mothers do it. I would sometimes be sleeping at my desk if I was at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just had a night similar to this one! I feel for you! Our problem was Ry had a high fever, even after we gave him motrin a couple hours earlier...we ended up giving him a cool bath and he would only sleep on me (which didn't help with his body temperature at all)! I agree with you, I have no idea how working moms do it! ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. good question! I remember when I was like 20 and went for almost 48 hours with very little sleep. I finally had to just call in sick to work... I will never forget that feeling I felt of having NO SLEEP. It was awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, when we have nights like that Cody will skip class so that I can get some sleep, I don't know how working moms function after sleepless nights! Especially if the baby is colicky- I would probably quit my job! Hope last night was better for Charlie and you, teething is yucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy sleep deprivation! Aye, Aye!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you got some good rest last night. I have some unsolicited advice for you regarding Luke napping. When Ella was about 2 and a half she started fighting naps, so we made a few changes to the concept and remamed that time of day "alone time." The rules I created for alone time are: stay in room and play quietly, and do not talk to me from your room!!(with sensible exceptions, of course) Two years later, we are still successfully using alone time. She actually likes it and I think it's a healthy break for both of us. In the begining, it was hard, with Ella calling from her room every 90 seconds, "is it time to come out yet?" So we got Ella her very own timer to put in her room and set herself, so that she is "in charge" of alone time. Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can only speak for myself (being a working mom and all)...but you just push through it. I don't have a choice, I have to work. It is just a responsibility that I know I have to handle. There were some nights that I didn't know how I would be able to go to work the next day. Even now, with my husband out of work, I still get up with my son if he wakes up. I want to be the one to make the nightmare go away. I want to be the one to get him a drink of water. I want to be the one to soothe him back to sleep. My mom was only off from work for a fews years when I was a child but for the most part she worked. I guess I just think that if she could do it then so can I.
    But I will say this....I cannot WAIT for the day that I can stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just happened to us last night. Zach and I put Jonah to bed at ten thirty. He was very hyper. We decided to stay up and watch a movie since we knew Jonah would sleep in from going to bed so late. 1:30 we go to bed. 2 am jonah wakes up screaming uncontrollably. After about two hours of on and off screaming and even attempting watching a movie with him. Finally asleep. I haven't done a thing today. I think I'm sleep walking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally know what you mean. I am pampered getting to stay home and sleep in most days, but Abby likes to wake up (most every night) 1/2 an hour after I go to sleep. She's been waking up a lot too during the night- those darn teeth.

    When I have to work, sometimes I get by on adrenaline, but other times I almost wish I was dead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no idea.

    But have I ever told you Charlie is a Bugaboo baby? A Bugaboo baby is hard to describe---they just have a certain look about them. And when I see one, I am compelled to yell out "BUGABOO!" from the top of my lungs (or in a hushed whisper, if I'm in the library [which I am]). He's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how you do it. You must be good at sleeping with your eyes open now. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this makes me think that the being tired thing won't improve post pregnancy...hmmmm :) As a recently pregnant and therefore tired all the time woman who works full time and then some, I take naps under my desk. While I am supposed to be working. One time my boss was gone and I took a nap on his couch. You gotta do what you gotta do.

    Hats off to you though for surviving.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails