2.17.2009

GETTING SCHOOL'D BY AUNTIE DORIS

Today I weigh 3 more pounds than I did 3 days ago. That's one pound for each day we had company visit us from out of town. Why is it that when people come to visit, I eat 20 times more than I normally do?

I have no doubt that most of my excessive eating this week can be attributed to our visit from Erik's Auntie Doris and Kathryn. On Sunday, they brought enough food to feed an army, or at least to last us through most of the week. TWO big tri-tips! A tub of cookies! Soup for a family of 6! 3 Dozen monster size rolls!

Can you ever eat too many of those rolls? The past few days my meals have consisted of 2 rolls for breakfast, a roll for lunch, a roll for a snack, a roll for a snack again....

So, here, for the first time ever (on the internet), is Auntie Doris' famous roll recipe ELEVATION style. (I live at 4,000 feet.) The whole time Doris was teaching me this, she was saying, "No. You didn't tie it right. Tie it again! No, too much dough! Do it again!"


ELEVATION ROLLS

5 Cups Milk
1 Cup Honey
4 Eggs
2 Cubes of Butter
1 Tablespoon Salt
3 Tablespoons Yeast
14 1/2 Cups Sifted Flour

Heat the milk till it is scalding. Mix the milk, honey, eggs, butter, and salt in the Bosch until it cools a little bit. Then add the yeast. Add the flour gradually. Use the dough hook on the Bosch to knead it for you. (The dough doesn't necessarily have to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl, but it would be nice.) Smother your hands in Crisco, take a small bit of dough, roll it into a "snake" and tie it in a knot. Cook for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Makes at least 40 rolls.


Here's the best part: If you use SAF yeast, the dough will rise as you are making the rolls! This means that you can have fresh yeast dinner rolls in one hour, start to finish!

Please come back soon, Kathryn and Doris. I'm getting hungry again.

10 comments:

  1. Auntie Doris makes the best moneky bread too! I'm so jealous...I'm salivating thinking of her baking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look AMAZING! Pretty sure everything Aunt Doris makes is amazing. She gave me the best book all about pies for our wedding. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow those look so good! should I invest in a Bosch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I'm so hungry for rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummmmm... I think I want to go and make those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...we had this recipe up in Utah this past Sunday 'cause Terri and Julie made about 6 dozen rolls for Kayla's baby blessing...they are so hard to resist! Especially with homemade soup and on a rainy/snowy day!I love the SAF yeast...it cuts down the time so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ummm... yum. so what's the difference for a non- high altitude version for those of us in flat flat Kansas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Those look divine. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I know that ANYTHING Doris makes is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look so good! My mom makes rolls just like those. Must go make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. anything with that much butter in them must taste fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails