1.19.2009

THE SACRIFICES I MAKE

Erik often tells me that if he didn't have a family to take care of he would happily be living in a hangar, owning an airplane, and going shooting whenever he wanted to.

He always asks me what I would be doing if I didn't have a family to take care of and my answer is always the same, "I don't know, I'm too tired to think about it right now." Maybe such conversations of what if are dangerous and we shouldn't even be having them, but we do.

This weekend, I visited my grandfather. Grandaddy has been everywhere and done everything. He got sick in India, swam in the North Pole, visited the Island of Yap, hung out with the King of Tonga, dug sewers in Fiji, shot Nazis over Germany...the list goes on. (I always wonder if his stories are a little Big Fish.)

Me, Grandaddy and the Kids
January 17, 2009

I knew that my Grandfather had done the round the world trip, but I had never asked him about it until this weekend. The conditions were that you had to keep flying west and complete your travel within a year. As they traveled, they decided what city they would visit next. You know, just hopping around the world as you please. He told me that the ticket was remarkably cheap. I figured he was remembering the price wrong, until I came home and looked it up.

Round the world flights starting at $899!

Of course, you must have the time, money for hotels, taxis, food, laundry, and most importantly, the ability to be irresponsible for up to one year.

So, Erik, this is my answer. If I did not have a family to take care of, I would live in a dump and work really hard to save up my money. I would quit my job and travel the world for one year, without children.

At this point in my life, when I can't even leave Charlie for more than 4 hours since he won't take a bottle, the thought of traveling anywhere without my children seems impossible. The prospect of taking an around the world trip, unattainable.

Oh, the sacrifices I make for this family...

12 comments:

  1. That sounds amazing! I'd love to be brave enough to do something so wild and adventurous!

    You pose a very intriguing question. What would I do? I don't know, I haven't thought much about it. Perhaps a gardenig fellowship in the UK? I was up for one in Scotland my Senior year of college but I didn't get it. And if I had, I would never have met my husband.

    I don't know what I'd be doing instead of a family but I know that I'm doing exactly what I should be doing now. I don't think there's any harm in sharing those ideas with each other- unless, of course, it's more than an in-theory conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may be a sacrifice, but they sure are cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww yes...the sacrifices we do make as mothers. But isn't worth it? Yup...it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your boys are so cute! I really like your idea to go around the world! To me it sounds like an adventure. Before Jared and I found out we were pregnant with Indy we would talk about going to Mexico and living on a beach for a while! I still dream about doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traveling the world is a blast, but your family of little (and big) boys is just so adorable! I'm sure you feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Grandaddy wrote a book or kept a really great journal about all this stuff. It seems so fascinating, escpecially when I feel like I have done very little of cool things like that. Although I think going to Israel is pretty cool. But alas, there's no where I'd rather be right now then listening to my kids talk to each other and having fun with them like in your picture of Erik! We'll someday have the time to do that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I don't have kids, and I won't promise not to take that trip before I DO. You have inspired me.

    Also, Charlie's little face in that first picture is so CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Little Charlie, always smiling, always cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my gosh!!! LUKE GOT NEW SHOES FINALLY! WOW WOW!! (i looked at the picture closer and noticed that)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When you get old (52) like me, have returned-missionary kids, married kids -- and grandkids, it doesn't seem like it was a sacrifice any more. Hang in there!

    Best,

    Barney

    ReplyDelete
  11. As someone who did a lot of self-indulgent playing in young adulthood and now has a lot of regrets, I would encourage you to hang in there.
    Since I forgot to have children, the most satisfying thing I do now is helping my aging parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's interesting how things change, as your children grow. John and I got to go to Hawaii for Jackie's wedding, back when Jonna and Hank were very young. (1991) We left them home...and had a 10 day wonderful and much needed vacation. (In fact, Erik was on that trip too...he was just a teenager). John and I decided that for our 10th anniversary, we'd go again. Well...we never did. We're now entering our 22nd year of marriage...still haven't had the chance (or money) to go back. Still...we've now decided that IF we get the chance (and money) to go back to Hawaii or any place exotic...we'd take our kids with us. I'm at a point now in my life, that I WANT my kids with me on any trip we take. Crazy...huh?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails