11.10.2008

HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH

I've been trying to be more creative with my parenting lately. You know, really be my kid's mom. Last week we made homemade playdough. Here's the recipe I used:

Colored Playdough (taken from The Preschooler's Busy Book)

1 cup water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup salt

1 tablespoon cream of tartar

Food coloring

Saucepan
1 cup flour

Combine water, oil, salt, cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan and heat until warm. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir, then knead until smooth. Keep in mind that the cream of tartar makes this dough long-lasting - up to six months or longer. This dough should be stored in an airtight container or a Ziploc bad. Do not refrigerate.


Now, I didn't have any food coloring, but I figured that didn't matter in the long run. Here was my result:

Two itsy bitsy pieces of playdough.

The rest of the playdough looked like this. (I was tempted to post a picture of poo here, but I didn't want to alienate any more readers than I already have.) You get the picture.

The color and texture fooled Luke into thinking we were making sugar cookies until he tasted it. Now he has been turned off from ever eating raw dough again. YES!

The worst part was the clean up! All this for practically nothing.


So, if I were to make this again, here is how I would change the recipe:

1. Get in the car.
2. Drive to the store.
3. Buy a package of playdough for 8 dollars.
4. Go home.

Take my advice. The next time you are tempted to make your own playdough, it's not worth it.
Play-Doh, $8.99 at Target

9 comments:

  1. Thats a good idea. I wonder if Jonah is too young for it. he might like it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yEAH JUst buy the real stuff. You could just buy ONE container or a couple probably from the dollar store and it's more fun to play with all the different colors. Hey are you guys really going to SF?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only make playdough when I am trying to save money... Even then I usually finish off all the salt I have and so when I go to make dinner I have to go to the store anyway for some more salt so I might as well pick up playdough while I am there! I agree- Making playdough=wasted time. ( Unless you are my mom she makes fabulous playdough!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. just something really random: Do you know what "Company Potatoes" are???? (it's what we are having for our "Adult ward Christmas Party"... anyway if its anything involving can-of-cream-of-you-know-what I'm not sure if I'm going to attend

    ReplyDelete
  5. Company potatoes? Probably the same thing as "funeral potatoes" in Utah. Most of the recipes I googled had cream of whatever soup and were called casseroles. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bummer. I've made that exact recipe, and it was great. It's lasted 6 months so far, where the Play-Doh dried out after a few minutes on the floor. Maybe it's the altitude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed that your recipe separates the flour. You're supposed to mix the flour in at the same time as the rest of the ingredients and cook all together until it pulls away from the sides. Then dump out, cool and knead. Try it again cuz this is great stuff and doesn't crumble like store-bought. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried making play-dough that way before and had a similar result (except I added one broken-down-in-tears-of-frustration mommy).

    I recently found a YouTube video of a 5-year-old making play-dough and tried it one more time using her no-cook recipe -- it wasn't stellar quality (it just didn't save very well!) but it was EASY and did not cause me to break down in tears! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails