11.30.2008

7 YEARS

Ah, marriage. Marriage, marriage, marriage.

The problem with marriage is that your money is the same so gift giving is incredibly difficult. Extravagant and expensive gifts are scary, not romantic. So many questions are attached to pricey gifts from a spouse...Is there anything left in the checking account? Where did this money come from? You spent how much on this? What were you thinking???

On our first Valentine's Day, Erik bought me this expensive set of pajamas with the words, Victoria's Secret, written across the top. Of course, I did what any sensible wife would do - I returned the set and bought a cheaper one at Target. In retrospect, I probably should have just accepted the p.j.'s and not thought about the price. We were just so very poor and I couldn't understand the logic in buying a $60 set of pajamas.

Well, we have now been married seven long years. We no longer do expensive Valentine and Anniversary gifts to each other. To celebrate our anniversary last week, we decided to spend a whopping $60 dollars on dinner at P.F. Chang's and buy overpriced concert tickets. It was definitely worth it and a much better way to celebrate than buying expensive gifts for each other that we may not really want.

So, happy anniversary, baby... blowing money is always better when we do it together.

Speaking of the concert, if you ever have the opportunity to see Coldplay, I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed. I can't get over how talented those guys are. Great show and worth every penny. Here are two memorable moments from their concert -

Chris Martin playing "The Hardest Part" on the piano -



They went up into the audience to sing "The Scientist" -

8 comments:

  1. What I want to know is if that was Cristin screaming in that high pitched voice, and Erik screaming "sing to me you sexy beast"?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary! I know what you mean about the expensive gifts. We just go out to dinner and maybe a movie. And we don't even really celebrate Valentine's day since our anniversary is less than two weeks before. But a concert is a great idea! I would love to see Coldplay. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you on the expensive gift thing. A great date is always better, I think, than more 'stuff'. Looks like your hubs knows a thing or two about organizing a great date. Okay, who am I kidding? I'm guessing you did all the planning but hey, a good date is a good date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mette - Someone else took those videos I got off of You Tube, I promise. I know... the background noise is pretty bad, but you get the main idea of the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe it took you seven years to figure that out. Kyle and I have been pathetic gift givers from the start--his birthday was last week and you know what he got? A tie clip. For his tie. Granted, he's been wanting one for ages, and he bought himself a gps a few months ago and it was supposed to be his birthday and christmas gift combined so he should be glad he got ANYTHING, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt and I don't really give gifts. It is more about just spending time together. I don't think I have ever given an anniversary/Valentine's day gift, and if I have it has always been a "coupon" for a back rub or something (something that usually never gets redeemed). ha! Either way, Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! What a GREAT way to celebrate! I've totally done the same thing and taken back gifts that Spencer's gotten me- because they're too expensive (yes, sadly I'm super cheap)! For anniversaries we usually go somewhere. Hopefully someday we'll have enough money to go visit exotic far-away places!

    ReplyDelete
  8. best concert! So happy you posted these!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails