10.21.2008

SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY

Is it bad that Sunday is my least favorite morning of the entire week? (I know, I have a bad attitude that I need to fix.)

That's the day when Erik goes to church early for about 2 hours worth of meetings and then runs home, with ten minutes to spare, to pick us up for Sacrament Meeting. At least this is how it is supposed to work. We are never on time for Sacrament Meeting. Is it because church starts exceptionally early? (No, it's 11 a.m.) Is it because the church is far away? (No, it's no more than a mile.) Is it because you, Cristin, are really really lazy? (Maybe.) Give up?

Luke refuses to wear his church clothes. It is a weekly battle that I dread. Every week I try a different approach, fighting while watching Music and the Spoken Word, waiting for Erik to restrain him, giving him several time outs, etc. For example -

This was the Sunday that he did not want to wear his new church shoes. He was screaming because he couldn't wear his tennis shoes that light up. Evidently, Luke's image is very important to him.

This picture is from a Sunday a few weeks ago. After wrestling with him for one hour, he was dressed (victory!), but as we were getting ready to leave, Luke hit his chin on the truck door. There was a lot of blood. Needless to say, we were really late that day.

This week he was screaming because he wanted to wear the pants from his Halloween costume and a t-shirt with sunglasses on it. When I finally got him dressed, he walked around the corner and came back five minutes later wearing the sunglasses t-shirt.

Who would think that a little boy would care so much about what he wears?

10 comments:

  1. Poor Cristin! Isn't Sunday supposed to be the day of rest? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auggg...you'd think having a boy would prevent you from having any of those clothes battles. I sympathize...I go through it on a daily basis. Mostly its because they want to match though....and i'm too cheap to buy Sarah any clothes since she has all of Kylee's old ones. Kids are just so difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I could kick and scream every Sunday, and it would ACTUALLY get me out of doing my hair and shaving my legs (who am I kidding? I don't shave anyway), I would totally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke just wants to be comfortable- like his mother when I tell her to wear 4 in heels and she wears sneakers instead

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is great that you are not giving in on this one! It is a huge pet peeve of mine when parents let their kids dress in clothes that look like play clothes and not church clothes. I love the green sweater vest too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if my reply will give you comfort or not! You ask the question: "Who would think that a little boy would care so much about what he wears?" My answer: At least he CARES!! NO LIE...this past Sunday, my 17-soon-to-be-18-year-old-son, came out dressed for church. He had on his nice white shirt, red tie, nice black dress pants, except his church pants had a tear clear up to his knee! It looked like it'd been in a shredder, no kidding. I said "Hank! What happened to your pants?" His reply, "I don't know". My reply: "You CAN'T wear those to church, Hank!" His reply: "Why not? I've worn them this way for three weeks now and no one has said anything". (How could I not notice????) I demanded he go and change. His reply "Mom, these are my only church pants that fit!" (this was sadly true). My reply: "There is no way you are wearing those to church today!" His reply (and it's now 20 minutes before church starts, and he should have been there already to set up chairs) "Mom...these are my ONLY pants! No one will care". My reply: "Take your pants off, I'm sewing them. Where is the sewing machine??" We had to spend several minutes finding the thing, since I rarely use it. Finally, it was found. So 15 minutes before church, I'm trying to piece together the bottom half of Hank's pant leg, so that people wouldn't stare at ME at church. I wasn't worried about what people thought of Hank. I was worried about what they thought of ME? How sad, huh? Not a good Sunday. So, Cristin, I know this is long...and I don't know if it gives you any comfort to know that I'm still battling this with my one-year-away-from-his-mission-son. But your post gave be a great boost today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHA...that's hilarious. Boy, am I excited...I think I liked Lisa's comment, too--shows that it just doesn't change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luke looks so old now! I say, just let him wear his shirt with sunglasses on it. One day he will realize how funny he looks and want to change on his own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you were this age I had a button that I pinned on you that said, "I dressed myself today." Adults usually responded by smiling and saying something positive to you, and giving me a look that said, "Wow, what a cool mom." That button was a lifesaver. I've often secretly wished that I had a button like that for your dad! And by the way, nothing could be more embarrassing to a mom than noticing about half-way into church that your preschool age daughter isn't wearing underwear. (That wasn't YOU by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did I ever tell you the time Dominic refused to wear his suit when I lived at wymount? He was already dressed and I was getting my teeth brushed then we were going to leave when I heard "Uh oh mommy, go potty" I came out to the living room and he had taken his suit off. I thought he took it off cuz he peed his pants...but no, upon further investigation it was clear that he took it off then peed on it. Smart.....

    Needless to say, it gets better. He no longer pees on his suits and so I'm sure Luke will grow out of his little quirk. what a funny kiddo........grin and bear it...and possibly let him wear whatever outfit he wants to one week and see if he feels out of place. He may never want to do it again.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails