10.29.2008

THE ANT IN MY EAR

The first week we moved into this house I noticed an ant problem. "Big whoop," I thought. I'd playfully spray them with Windex as I talked on the phone. Then I found them in the Cheerios. I just picked them out with my hand and squashed them between my fingers. I thought, "This is great. I'm turning into an animal lover. We're co-existing." Then last night happened.

Around 1 a.m., Erik woke me up because Charlie was crying. I sleepwalked over to his room, sat in the rocking chair, and began nursing him. I immediately heard a slight screeching noise in my left ear. I thought a hair had fallen in my ear. Then the screeching got louder. I couldn't identify what it was. No matter what I did it wouldn't stop. I started thinking that maybe Erik or an alien had planted something in my ear. (Remember I was half awake.) Then I felt an extremely painful pinching/stinging/screeching feeling in my ear. I started screaming. Erik ran in, made me turn my head to the side (I was screaming like crazy at this point) and you know what's coming next...

... AN ANT CRAWLED OUT OF MY EAR.

After the hubbub, I tried to fall back to sleep, but all I could think about was ants. In fact, even now I can still feel traces of it's little tiny body in my ear. You would not believe how painful and freaky that was.

My brother-in-law, Haans, told me this story recently about an experience he had while growing up in Africa. He was attacked by killer ants all the way up to his neck or something and "almost died," but for the life of me, I can't remember how he survived the killer ant attack. I was too focused on asking him if he wasn't confusing his own life with the latest Indiana Jones movie. This is all my fault. I'm going to die in my sleep from a surprise ant attack because I was too busy making fun of Haans' story to hear the important life saving information at the end.

So, in review, here are people that have been attacked by ants and lived to tell about it:

Erik's BFF, Indiana Jones

My Brother-in-Law, Haans


ME

18 comments:

  1. Ants are so annoying. WE have been attacked too, but they are in weird spots. Ants in our bathroom, in our closet crawling on my clothes, in the kids' bedroom. I hate ants! I feel your pain. I've found them on my arm, but not in my ear. Call me lucky I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasty!! I hate ants. Before we left on our trip we were having bad ants. Wanting to be cheap we spent $10 bucks and bought the outdoor pellets to put around the outside of the house, then you get them wet. It totally worked. We came home to no ants!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. eew yucky! I would have freaked out too! I sure hope that ant didn't lay eggs in your eardrum or something... just kidding :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Cristin! That sounds like a terrible experience!

    P.S. Love the Wymount Picture of you :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ewwwwww!!!! I'm glad that you survived. Haans was attacked by killer ants?! Maybe you should ask him about spiders too...he might leave the room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Charlie didn't have ants in his ear that you didn't know about!! You probably freaked him out by screaming like that! The other morning, at like six, I came out in the family room with jonah and started to put my sweats on while a HUGE HUGE spider flew out of them I about had a heart attack I was screaming so loud! I wonder what my neighbors thought?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man I shouldn't have read this :P now I keep feeling ants crawling on me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yuck! I HATE ants!!! A few months ago, Nate took the car to work. He was driving home that night (it was dark because he was working swing shift that month) and he looked over to the passenger seat next to him and it looked like the seat was moving. So he turned on the light and saw that the entire inside of our car looked like an ant hill had taken over! It took several days to get rid of them after vacuuming several times and spraying, but until they were gone, I drove faster than usual everywhere I needed to go because I wanted to spend as little time as possible in our ant infested car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so funny, I can't even stop laughing about it! thank you for the pictures of EVERYONE who has survived ant attacks

    ReplyDelete
  10. So, I totally had the same thing happen to me last night (while nursing), only the bug was an EARWIG! Yuck! It gives me the heeby-jeebies just thinking about it. I yelled too and Michael came in to rescue us from the killer bug. I was squirming for the entire rest of the feeding and paranoid about some other bug attacking me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am laughing so hard. So if I remember the story correctly. Haans was about 4 or 5 years old and he accidently walked into the ant hill barefoot. They started biting him so quickly that all he could do was stand there and scream because he didn't realize what was hurting him. The life saving information was his dad. He heard the screaming and came running and picked him up out of it and got all the ants off. I'll have Haans check my version of the story to make sure it is correct. But Crisin, lesson learned.... don't make fun of any of Haans stories, because it will come back to "bite" you!!

    Isn't my wedding dress fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NICE PICTURE CRISTIN!!!! (FROM 5 YEARS AGO!) This was a weird blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Add my daughter Addie to your list of survivors! She was about 18 months old, and, much like Haans, walked right on an ant hill in our backyard. (The ants here are mean and hurt like heck!) I heard her screaming, and there she was, covered in ants up to her diaper. (Thank goodness they didn't make it up to her neck!) Poor thing...she didn't know what to do, and just stood there, waiting for someone (me) to rescue her. The irony, is the ant hill was directly under the swingset...not a good place for an ant hill. She looked like she'd had chicken pox after the attack. Glad you're ok, and that your eardrum wasn't injured. It gives me the willies just thinking of an ant IN your ear. P.S. I like the picture of you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! That is wymount! I HATED those stairs. Just far enough apart to be annoying and not close enough together to be convenient. 1.5 steps for each step.....such a waste of time.

    It always took me a minute and a half to get to church instead of 45 seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You may or may not remember the kamikaze fly in my ear from this past summer. It was the worst experience of my life, and I'm not exaggerating. I can only imagine how wretched it would be to have a fly that was also biting--I'm so sorry for your grief.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thats not you in that picture- that girl in the picture doesn't have a fatface. oh snap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. But there's an awesome episode of Macgyver where a guy gets eaten by ants! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS7uUVzf9c4

    I guess he didn't survive. But Macgyver did!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hear ants hate talcum powder. According to a Google search, ants won't cross it. Maybe you could sprinkle it around your bed and wear a bottle of it around your neck--like garlic for vampires.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails