9.19.2008

DVD REVIEW: ELMO'S POTTY TIME

As suggested by Courtney and Shannon, I purchased Elmo's Potty Time DVD. I am hoping that Elmo will brainwash Luke into using the toilet sometime before he turns 3.

Well... after watching it once, I am still trying to figure out what I just saw. It's broken up into little segments like Elmo sitting on a toilet for the first time, how toilet paper is made, Prairie Dawn picking out underwear, and kids spouting off dozens of euphemisms for urine and poop. (I am not making this up.) One kid even says, "I call it dookie!" Elmo calls it "wee wee" and "woo woo." (I was waiting for him to say "wah wah" which is my euphemism for girl pieces, but sadly, it never happened.)

What I want to see is a featurette about the making of Elmo's Potty Time. How did Gordon keep a straight face during the whole thing? Who decided that Elmo's Dad should have a mustache? Who wrote these songs? "It's Potty Time" (not to be confused with "It's Business Time") is actually really catchy.

The first time that Luke and I finished watching this DVD (or "DVDV" as Luke calls it), he anxiously jumped off the couch and said "I have to go potty!" as he ran to the bathroom. I thought, "Yes, it's working! Elmo is doing my dirty work for me. Ah ha!" He didn't really go, but that's okay. Like Elmo says, "Everyone does it eventually."

MY GRADE: TO BE DETERMINED

Here is a clip that is a perfect example of the weirdness that is this DVD.


13 comments:

  1. I told you - it's weird, but effective - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh man...you jumped the gun!! you should've gotten the potty training dvd with 8-10 year olds singing and dancing to "doing the potty dance...ya know I can't sit still"...it has a collection of music videos that are absolutely hilarious!! "when I get that feeling way down below...I just know I've got to go..." (that one was a rap)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have that DVD too... Annabella loves to watch it but it does not motivate her to go wee wee and woo woo... I hope it works for Luke. Maybe we should watch it 5 or 6 times a day?..... Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear by that video. My kid was very excited about using the potty after watching it. My only complaint about it is that Carson loves to sing the song "Accidents Happen" which tends to make me nervous.

    I would love to see outtakes of that video. I don't think you could pay me enough to appear in a movie with puppets talking about doing poo-poo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids just watched this clip you posted with me and it cracked them up. And they kept commenting on the weirdness of it... like for the first minute, Elmo's dad isn't letting him go potty. And my daughter predicted that Elmo was probably going to fall off the potty. We never did potty training videos. My daughter just got it and was potty trained by three. My son just didn't, but was potty trained by 4. I do however have the potty Elmo with his potty chair. It didn't work for either of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine Erik singing that song around the house. You should look at Vanessa's blog- she just wrote about potty trainging Jonah.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I showed that clip to jonah, and he just stared the whole time. Didn't even blink, or laugh. Are there subliminal messages in that thing? Maybe Jonah will start using the toilet now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it just me or does Elmo's Dad sound a lot like George W. Bush? It's just me isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for showing that movie! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Actually I always laugh at elmo stuff, he's just funny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elmo's dad looks like my Uncle Steve...weird

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is hilarious! I hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW3E0ixPkVM try this video with luke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bwahahahahaha....I could not stop laughing. That is the funniest thing I have seen all week--thank you for sharing!! Who doesn't love Sesame Street?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails