9.18.2008

CHILDREN'S MUSIC

I don't know about you, but the first thing my 2 year old says to me every morning is, "Good Morning, Mommy! Can I watch Cars?!" One of the few things that will distract him from his current Cars obsession is to have children's music playing the minute he wakes up. Really, try it. It almost always works. Here are some of our favorites:

It is an understatement to say that we listen to Raffi often. Luke will usually go up to the laptop and start hitting it, screaming, "Raffi songs! Raffi songs!" He's definitely a fan. This album also holds a lot of sentimental value for me because I used to listen to it as a child too. I picked up some of the Raffi Songs to Read at a garage sale and we really enjoy singing the books to Luke before he goes to sleep. Some of our favorites are "Spider on the Floor" and "Five Little Ducks."

Similar to Elmo in that he doesn't really sing, John Lithgow doesn't have the best voice. He reminds me of Neil Diamond. Everything is half-spoken or half-sung. However, this c.d. is addictive. I secretly wish that Luke will learn the words to "No One Loves you Any Better Than Your M-O-Double M-Y" and sing it around the house. Hasn't happened yet... but I'll keep trying. This is just an all around fun c.d.



Our friends, Jed and Persephone, introduced us to They Might Be Giant's "Here Come the ABC's" album when Luke was born. We recently bought "Here Come the 123's." Both are very good. An added bonus is that they come with DVD's full of music videos of the songs. Since these are music videos made for kids, they almost look like they were ripped right out of Sesame Street. TMBG's childrens albums don't sound much different than their adult albums. Erik sometimes gets more into it than Luke does. Good stuff.

9 comments:

  1. If you ever get sick of any of those, Greg and Steve are really good. The Greg and Steve albums were my favorite when I worked at the preschool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zachary is only 16 months old...So how bad do you think it is that he knows how to turn the tv on and get out the Cars DVD in the morning? Arggggh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should REALLY try: Justin Roberts "Way Out" is a really good CD

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite song from "1,2,3s" is "I am a girl/I'm eleven years old" (whatever that one is called). It's incredibly funky. In the words of Bela Fleck, "That's funky like a dirty Pamper!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carson loves Ralph's World. We listen to his cd quite often in the car. We also have Sesame Street Platinum Album..or something to that sort.That one's my favorite because most of the songs are from when I watched it as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to hear that my kids aren't the only ones with a TV addiction. :-) I used to listen to Raffi, too. AND we had one of his concerts on VHS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the TMBG cd "NO!"
    It is a wonderfully entertaining children's disk.
    I will check out those others you mentioned. I had no idea they had others! -Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We like Laurie Berkner's We Are Dinosaurs and Buzz Buzz CDs. There's also a great TMBG album called No!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids are mad because we bought the cd and it wasn't a cd/dvd combo. We may have to get the 123s by TMBG for Christmas. It's better than listening to any of the other songs my kids want to listen to. Wait until Luke is older and can listen to books on cd too. Right now Junie B. Jones is totally captivating my kids... if they ever disappear and are super quiet, we can assume they are listening to Junie B. And on car trips, she cracks us up as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails